Confused by a 5 years old Maths question.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Grandkids are currently here, as although their mother is a key worker, the school is operating on restricted teachers due to the snow (don't go there) anyway our 5 year old grand daughter has these 3 questions which we have no clue over. I have never heard of number bonds & even searching Google doesn't make much sense in this situation.

I'd like to say answers on a postcards, but would like it sooner please.

I've just googled number bonds, and all I can say is that any kid who understands them is s potential Nobel Laureate.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Grandkids are currently here, as although their mother is a key worker, the school is operating on restricted teachers due to the snow (don't go there) anyway our 5 year old grand daughter has these 3 questions which we have no clue over. I have never heard of number bonds & even searching Google doesn't make much sense in this situation.

View attachment 571757

View attachment 571756

View attachment 571755

I'd like to say answers on a postcards, but would like it sooner please.
Is it anything like Numberwang?

View: https://youtu.be/xmBCh76_qWE

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
https://www.numberbondgames.com/numberbonds

Perhaps time to remind grand daughter what number bonds are. Something introduced in 1990s apparently.

So which of the number bonds listed does she know that will help her get to the answer?

I will give a quick one for first question though. What number bonds does she already know? I suspect she knows 7 - 3 as a number bond. So why not replace the 7 - 3 with the third number in the bond? How does that help? If 7 is the whole and 3 is a part, what is the other part? Would 7 + 3 number bond help if they are the parts, then what is the whole? How does that help? Is 14 - 3 a number bond she knows, if 14 is the whole and 3 the part, how does the other part help?

It is a shame there isn’t an option to say haven’t got a clue. Then your granddaughter could flag to the teacher she has no idea. But see if the above helps her first.

The aim is not to provide the correct answers but have her use her existing knowledge to try and get there. If she’s provided with the correct answers then the test is wasted.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As I understand it, number bonds are simply a way of mentally manipulating figures and making automatic connections. So for example, if presented with 7 + 5, pre number bonds, you would either automatically know the answer was 12, or you counted. Number bonds break it down, so one of the number bonds for 10 is 5 + 5. You look at 7 +5 and can see immediately the number bond 5 + 5, which leaves only 2, therefore 10 + 2 =12.
The same happens for subtraction. 5 + 5 = 10. But if you know that, you can use the number bond for subtraction 10 - 5 = 5

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I now understand the concept although I'm not sure it's a good way of doing it, although I cannot think back over 55 years ago when I was her age to know how we were taught.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Now the task is to see if your grand daughter gets the concept. Much of maths is substitution, to simplify the problem to the point you already know the answer to the parts, and then whole.

So if it were me I would get her to work through each question with pencil and paper to see if a number bond answer helps her.

So on Q2 she starts with

14 - 2

Does 14 - 2 number bond help? Well no as it doesn’t simplify the question.
Does 4 + 2 help? How can it be used for substitution / simplification?
Does 4 - 2 help? How can it be used for substitution/ simplification?

One further clue, addition is easier than subtraction. So if that’s the case, how can you make the questions easier via number bond substitution?

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
C, B, A..

Not "can't be arsed"

This time is how without knowing what number bond is, my answers look to ignore the 10 at the beginning of the 2 digit number and make the simpler to answer sum with the last bit of it.

Could be completely wrong but it works as a theory in this case.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Unfortunately or fortunately I'm working & the wife is on teaching duty, TBH I'm still grasping on how to it helps, I'd much rather use a ladder, or number line as I'm now told it's called, each generation of teachers or Governors of Ofsted seem to have to prove their existence by reinventing the wheel, only to return a few years later to a round one.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I now understand the concept although I'm not sure it's a good way of doing it, although I cannot think back over 55 years ago when I was her age to know how we were taught.
If anything like my junior school, having it beaten into you to learn. :sad:
I learned rather than was taught, to break numbers down. It makes them much less complicated. See the bond, deal with it and then pick up what is left. So using Q2, if the number bonds to 10 are known, the answer to 4 -2 gives you part of the answer, then just add 10.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have no chance of offering anything useful. Even when my kids were asking me to help with maths in the 1990s...i offered my workings, they told me was doing it all wrong. I wasnt, i was just doing it the way i was taught.
Now i'm 2 generations behind :ohmy:
I asked my 15 YO grandaughter what her project was going to be in science... Gene editing (i think) she exclaimed excitedly.
Whaaaaa....are you serious ?, i asked
Oh yes... :becool: she replied.
Crikey :wacko:

Top Bottom