Confused, cassette removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steppylud

Über Member
Evening. I am confused. I have a shimano 105 cassette on my old wheels that I need to transplant onto my new ones. I know I need a lock remover, but what one? Can someone tell me what I need??

PatrickPending

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Cheers, quick mercy dash to evans and the job is done. Now trying to get my manky old spd pedals off, should have bought some WD40.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Yeah, youtube is my friend with the opposite threads, but the little wotsits dont want to move and I am now knackered.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ideally lube with anti seize grease before you put them on. However you are where you are. Soak with WD40 for a couple of nights, then use pedal spanner and an extension hollow bar or similar to get some purchase whilst stood on opposite pedal to stop it moving.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The way I remember it is that if the pedals loosened as I pedalled forward, I would be in trouble. It makes sense that you have to turn them backwards to take them off.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Ideally lube with anti seize grease before you put them on. However you are where you are. Soak with WD40 for a couple of nights, then use pedal spanner and an extension hollow bar or similar to get some purchase whilst stood on opposite pedal to stop it moving.

I did pick up some anti-seize grease from Evans for the new ones.

I didn't put the old pedals on but it feels like the bike shop used superglue.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Have I forgot which way round already ffs?
To undo:
Crank horizontal, pedal towards the front of the bike, spanner horizontal, towards the back of the bike, and press down (taking care to keep the knuckles off the chainring).

Whilst I'm sure @steveindenmark know what he means, this is the same direction that the pedal axle would turn if the pedal bearings suddenly seized when riding.
The loosening mechanism (precession) works in the opposite direction, so you need threads that unscrew when turned in the pedalling direction.
Loosening probably mostly happens when someone installs normal cranks on a crossover drive tandem, rather than paying out for a specific tandem crankset.

Last edited:
Top Bottom