confused!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joanna

I've been looking to buy a new bike, but am really confused as to which sort to go for.

I cycle 20+miles a day throughout the year to work, and have been using an old Ridgeback Tempest for the past 3 years which I feel isn't really suited to commuting.

I feel that the time has come to try a proper road bike, with drop handle bars. I spend most of my time on the bar ends anyway so I think I could handle the low down position of drops.

However, I also want to have the option of going off road. I have found an alternative route home that takes me off-road slightly (only for 5 minutes or so), on gravel paths and fields. And, I have the option of cycling home over the South Downs. ALSO, I belong to a club that does off-road cycles which I haven't been able to join in as I don't have a suitable bike.

So, do I get a general hybrid that could cope with off roading and on roads? Or 2 separate bikes? A proper road bike and a mountain bike. Bearing in mind that I will spend 90% of my time on road. A cyclo cross bike would seem to be suitable, but they all appear to be very, very expensive!

Other things that I would have to have would be the option to fit panniers, and if I go for a drop handlebar variety - I would want breaks on the top bar.

Am I asking too much for one bike?!?!

Any advice would be gratefully received :biggrin:

Thanks
Joanna

Norm

Sounds to me like you've just described a cyclo-cross style bike there, Joanna. Drop bars, brakes on the tops, solid build with MTB components to give you low gearing off road but they come with tyres which will work on tarmac and they are ready to be fitted with pannier rack and mudguards.

Just for the form, I'll mention the Specialized Tricross first but there's also the Kona Jake, Genesis Vapour, Scott Addict... etc

Useful for a 40+ mile commute...
th_DSCN2136.jpg

And a 6 mile hack off road...
th_DSCN2144.jpg

e-rider

crappy member
It does sound like you need 3 bikes......but, a cyclo cross bike would be your best option if you can only afford to buy one bike.

Brakes on the top bar of drop handlebars are very rare but they do exist. IMO they are not necessary and that's why you pretty much never see them. I wouldn't worry about finding a bike with them too much.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
joanna said:
if I go for a drop handlebar variety - I would want breaks on the top bar.

Most people only use the drop part of the bar with a headwind otherwise it's hands on the top - it is perfectly safe to brake like this with conventional shifters as you can paddle the brake lever with your fingers.

Norm

tundragumski said:
Brakes on the top bar of drop handlebars are very rare but they do exist. IMO they are not necessary and that's why you pretty much never see them. I wouldn't worry about finding a bike with them too much.
I'd dispute that. I use them so much on my cross bike that I have now also fitted them to my road bike. I often travel for a long time only using the interrupter brake levers.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Kona dew drop fits the bill
prod_19935.jpg

£449 here!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
tundragumski said:
It does sound like you need 3 bikes......but, a cyclo cross bike would be your best option if you can only afford to buy one bike.

I keep telling Mrs CK i need another bike but i am limited to :wacko::bicycle:. a winter and a summer bike .

I liked the look of the dew drop but read its a harsh ride and heavy (ie bomb proof).

Top Bottom