connecting multiple computers to my wi fi con.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Hi there,

i have sky broadband with a wireless router to my lap top.(windows vista) Its normally rock solid, no problems in a couple of years of use.

We have a spanish friend staying with us, They are using their laptop (xp professional). I just gave the the key (password?) for the wi fi and told them to connect to the internet via our wi fi connection. This was saturday and it worked fine for a few days but a tiny bit slower on occassion. Then yesterday it threw a real wobbler, not connecting to certain websites saying 'null'. Then today nothing, no websites showing although i could clearly 'see' the network.

Anyway i have eventually resolved it by turning the router off then on again. Is this just a coincidence or i have done something wrong in just giving them the key and letting them log on?

Thanks andy

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In our house five laptops, an Asus Eee, an iPhone, an iPod touch, two games consoles all happily connect to the Wi Fi using the same wirless key and one router and there is never an issue. On odd occassions we might have three or four machines connecting at the same time.

I think you've just been unlucky.

Steve H

Large Member
I've got quite a few devices attached to my wireless router and this is a fine thing to do. Occasionally the router does appear to lock up. This is normally resolved by unplugging and re-plugging in. Its fairly rare I do this - say once every three / four months.

Steve H said:
I've got quite a few devices attached to my wireless router and this is a fine thing to do. Occasionally the router does appear to lock up. This is normally resolved by unplugging and re-plugging in. Its fairly rare I do this - say once every three / four months.

+1 routers can occasionally get 'confused' and crash, requiring a restart.

Top Bottom