Connecting to a TP Power Link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
A bit of advice on this please ladies and gents?

I have the said TP device in my bedroom to connect a CCTV unit and now have the idea of using it to connect my tablet to so that I can get a better signal than from my router, but it's been that long since I installed it that I don't know the security key for it, and the codes printed on the back of it don't seem to work when I enter them.

Any ideas for me?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Reset it, and setup fresh codes

There should be a thing on the back showing the model number - look up the factory reset procedure on the manufacturers website

If it doesn't work properly try agian with both plugs in the same room with no extensions etc - length of cables can make a difference especially on resetting
AT least that was what I found when I had problems

Oh - and remember not to use any surge protected extension leads

markemark

Über Member
If you have a pc you can download a piece of software that shows all the tp link devices from the manufacturer. You can then edit the properties (ssid and password) of each.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My TP Link had a pinhole reset hole underneath, next to the ethernet socket.
Do you have WPS buttons on the things that you want to connect?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just a point to anyone- probably teaching folk to suck eggs, but give the TPLink extender's wifi a slightly different name, eg. Home as main network, Home1 as the extender. Use same password. reason is, esecially if using a lpatop, is it will lock on to the network if picked up frst, so if, say in the lounge, then move to a room far away, it will still connect to the main connection, and you'll have a weak signal. It doesn't automatically switch to the nearest repeater unlike MESH systems.

As ohers have said there is a reset button - you'll probably need to rest both, then start again (instructions are on the TP-Link site).

We still use out TP Link power extender, but have the wifi turned off. I've a Mesh disc unit plugged in as a backbone connection (they connect by wire and wifi to other mesh discs) and my Zwift PC cat5'ed to it.

markemark

Über Member
Just a point to anyone- probably teaching folk to suck eggs, but give the TPLink extender's wifi a slightly different name, eg. Home as main network, Home1 as the extender. Use same password. reason is, esecially if using a lpatop, is it will lock on to the network if picked up frst, so if, say in the lounge, then move to a room far away, it will still connect to the main connection, and you'll have a weak signal. It doesn't automatically switch to the nearest repeater unlike MESH systems.

As ohers have said there is a reset button - you'll probably need to rest both, then start again (instructions are on the TP-Link site).

We still use out TP Link power extender, but have the wifi turned off. I've a Mesh disc unit plugged in as a backbone connection (they connect by wire and wifi to other mesh discs) and my Zwift PC cat5'ed to it.
Not sure about that. I have a couple of access points and power lines around the house all with the same Ssid and passwords. As I move around the house My laptop/phone etc connects to the strongest signal locally. It is not set as a mesh, just various points with the same wifi credentials. As I move into another room my devices pick up the strongest point automatically after a few seconds.

I think this is how it is supposed to work but seem to remember Android has an issue doing this.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not sure about that. I have a couple of access points and power lines around the house all with the same Ssid and passwords. As I move around the house My laptop/phone etc connects to the strongest signal locally. It is not set as a mesh, just various points with the same wifi credentials. As I move into another room my devices pick up the strongest point automatically after a few seconds.

I think this is how it is supposed to work but seem to remember Android has an issue doing this.

It's a known issue - this was quite a few years ago as I've had the TP link about 6 years, but Mesh is so much better.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I have a TP link router. The 'password' is actually a number that came with it on a sticker in the box. Silly me initially thought it might be the password I chose when setting up my account....:ohmy:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

We have a TPLink range extender (T220?) and it named itself by default as xyzrouter-EXT.

Our Kindles, phones and lappies automatically flip between the two as we move around the house.

Am I talking about a different piece of kit to you?

Top Bottom