Connecting Velocharger to an SP Dynamo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
Hi, I'm trying to find out which extra bits I'll need, if any, to connect a Velocharger MK2 to a Shutter Precision PV8 dynamo hub.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Some pics of the two units might be useful.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Some pics of the two units might be useful.

The wheel hasn't been shipped and I've yet to order the Velocharger. I have found a review which doesn't mention any extra connectors or wires but wanted to double check.

The wheel hasn't been shipped and I've yet to order the Velocharger
In that case you may be interested in the PedalCell - a dynamo that attaches to the fork and works like a conventional dynamo except it has some doowhackery that makes it more efficient than a hub dynamo.
I am NOT advocating it - just throwing it into the mix. There's a thread on it here somewhere. I have questions about its longevity and use in inclement weather.

FWIW I use a Cycle2Charge (available on Amazon) to power as I ride. Very simple, neat, very weatherproof and tested in some pretty tough environments.
I'll need some 4.8mm spade connectors
Do you plan on also using a dynamo light? In which case a type of "double" spade connector is available that allows a light to piggyback on your velocharger (or vice versa). Switch the light off when you want to charge. SJS cycles have them. Best when the two connectors are soldered together and wrapped for weather protection.

Sorry if I've just thrown chaos and confusion into your plans.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
In that case you may be interested in the PedalCell - a dynamo that attaches to the fork and works like a conventional dynamo except it has some doowhackery that makes it more efficient than a hub dynamo.
I am NOT advocating it - just throwing it into the mix. There's a thread on it here somewhere. I have questions about its longevity and use in inclement weather.

FWIW I use a Cycle2Charge (available on Amazon) to power as I ride. Very simple, neat, very weatherproof and tested in some pretty tough environments.

Do you plan on also using a dynamo light? In which case a type of "double" spade connector is available that allows a light to piggyback on your velocharger (or vice versa). Switch the light off when you want to charge. SJS cycles have them. Best when the two connectors are soldered together and wrapped for weather protection.

Sorry if I've just thrown chaos and confusion into your plans.
Too late, it's all been ordered!

I have read up on the pedalcell but think this will suit my needs. I've bought a second hand DT Rr585 / SP8 wheel with 36 DT Champion spokes for use on my 700c bikes and probably won't need a dynamo for my 26ers.

I was keen to act fast on this before the supply chain problems get any worse. I'm hoping to get things up and running for around £200 and with parts that can be replaced when needed. The other cheap option was to attempt a build but this way I can avoid making any errors calculating spoke lengths.

I ordered a cheap B+M headlight and piggyback spade connectors at the same time.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Sallar55

Veteran
Better upgrade your user name😅. Have the revolution USB charger and at low mph its on off charging, at 8mph stated for charging starting it might be the same.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Better upgrade your user name😅. Have the revolution USB charger and at low mph its on off charging, at 8mph stated for charging starting it might be the same.

I got the revolution back when it was cheap and sold it on, only to watch it climb in price up to £120. I'm pretty sure I paid around £30 for it and used it with a bottle dynamo for one tour.

If only one could upgrade user names I would, I do seem to average 8mph on tour so in a way, the name fits!

Top Bottom