Connection between stress and sweating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Antiperspirant products, even Mitchum, just don't work well for me. I suffer sweating from my armpits in response to stress. The only slight relief is from a product called Driclor which has an active ingredient of 20% w/w Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate and an ethlyl alcahol/water mix, which causes a temporary "burning" discomfort and overnight itching.

And I can still sweat enough to cause damp patches on shirts, which add to stress levels because I feel self-conscious.

Anyone else suffered this, and got any advice?

Oldbloke

Guru
I've suffered from this since teenage years, no anti perspirant ever helped and if anything, made it worse. Only ever use body sprays now with no aluminium content; avoid wearing colours which make damp areas look worse.

Sorry can't offer any more constructive advice!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When suffering skin sensitivity, I've used https://uk.lush.com/products/aromaco and https://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cg...ture_Body_Deodorant_Natural_Crystal_100g.html in the past (I think - the packaging of the second has changed). Not complete anti-perspirants but absorbant and deodorant. They feel strange and I stopped covering my arms so much to reduce sweating (not a great option in winter, though) but I didn't get comments or complaints even from those close enough and honest enough to tell me.

Both shops sell a range of alternatives which may be better (especially Lush's T'eo sounds good) but I've not had cause to try them yet.

keithmac

Guru
You can have an operation to remove some sweat glands I beleive if it's bad enough to warrant it?.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had the same problem sometimes, mainly at formal social occasions. I'm not used to wearing suits and ties, and I'm sometimes quite nervous at such events. Hot weather makes them an absolute nightmare. For me, the solution that works best is to try and relax. Not always easy. Oh yes, and carry lots of clean handkerchiefs to wipe the beads of sweat off my forehead.

Good luck.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can’t offer a solution but also occasionally suffer from this, not really often enough to make it an issue but something I find embarrassing.

I don’t know if people notice but I always think they do which increases the stress.

The only action I take is to wear a loose fitting shirt in circumstances when I think it might be a problem. I also avoid wearing sweaters in those situations.

BikeCurious

Über Member
I have the same problem and the solution for me was undershirts. I tried all the readily available antiperspirants (Mitchums, Sure Extra Protection etc) but none of them stopped the sweat patches showing up. I now wear an undershirt most days at work which prevents the sweat coming through to the top layer of clothing. They are basically a thin tshirt you wear under your shirt that soak up the sweat. The ones I have have got pads sewn into the pits as an extra layer of protection. They won't stop you sweating but you'll never have to worry about the sweat patches showing through.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thompson-Tee-Hydro-Shield-Sweat-Proof/dp/B01LXHJB3S (other brands/retailers are available)

Last edited:
Top Bottom