Connections....a kind of James Burke thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I loved James Burke's Connections programs, one of the many that inspired me to a life in science. For those too young or at the time disinterested - here's a taster:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcOb3Dilzjc

Dr Hannah Fry recently did something similar (or did she?) with the Secret genius of modern life:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ecret-genius-of-modern-life-review-bank-cards

Anyhow, I'll get to the point...It wasn't just the science, but the interconnection of apparently random events and how they shaped the world that was the interesting bit. I was reminded of this in an extract from a book about the history of cider making of all things....

In short, to pay for the 7 years war under George III (a debt of £4.7million remaining) the de-facto Prime minister needed to raise some readies quickly. For that he decided unwittingly to tax Cider with the Cider Bill of 1763. Much of the issue surrounded the new and draconian rights of the Excise men to forcefully enter properties to tax all therin even for consumption. 3 years later after a lot of serious rioting in the SW this plan was abandoned.
The next plan to raise readies was the 'Stamp Tax' of 1764 and raise the money from the colonies instead of Cider drinkers.
This didn't go down well across the pond - Taxation without Representation' fuelled resentment about London especially the powers of excisemen ultimately lead to the American War of Independence and the 4th amendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized"

Of course it's a little more complicated than that, but I like the thread of how rebellion among the Cider drinkers of the South West led to an altogether different kind of revolution, a wold changing revolution across the pond. Connections....

So - give us any other stories of how one thing led to another and the unintended consequences or spin-offs arising!

presta

Guru
the interconnection of apparently random events and how they shaped the world that was the interesting bit

If you like that sort of thing try reading Jared Diamond's Collapse, the complexity of the seemingly trivial snippets of unrelated information that have been pieced together like a jigsaw puzzle is quite impressive.

roley poley

Über Member
yep my story is of a cold stormy hill walk and their Garmin gadget failed.. i was the only one with a paper map,compass and the ability to use those to self rescue..no-one knew which way was north or which way to go for an escape from driving sleet on the fell ? !

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I loved James Burke's Connections programs, one of the many that inspired me to a life in science. For those too young or at the time disinterested - here's a taster:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcOb3Dilzjc

Dr Hannah Fry recently did something similar (or did she?) with the Secret genius of modern life:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ecret-genius-of-modern-life-review-bank-cards

Anyhow, I'll get to the point...It wasn't just the science, but the interconnection of apparently random events and how they shaped the world that was the interesting bit. I was reminded of this in an extract from a book about the history of cider making of all things....

In short, to pay for the 7 years war under George III (a debt of £4.7million remaining) the de-facto Prime minister needed to raise some readies quickly. For that he decided unwittingly to tax Cider with the Cider Bill of 1763. Much of the issue surrounded the new and draconian rights of the Excise men to forcefully enter properties to tax all therin even for consumption. 3 years later after a lot of serious rioting in the SW this plan was abandoned.
The next plan to raise readies was the 'Stamp Tax' of 1764 and raise the money from the colonies instead of Cider drinkers.
This didn't go down well across the pond - Taxation without Representation' fuelled resentment about London especially the powers of excisemen ultimately lead to the American War of Independence and the 4th amendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized"

Of course it's a little more complicated than that, but I like the thread of how rebellion among the Cider drinkers of the South West led to an altogether different kind of revolution, a wold changing revolution across the pond. Connections....

So - give us any other stories of how one thing led to another and the unintended consequences or spin-offs arising!

Hey darling, I've a few good go to pods for nighttime listening. Rutherford and Fry’s is great, friendly and accessible, same with the Infinite monkey cage with Brian Cox ands Robin Ince. More or less needs a come back.

EDUCATE. INFORM AND ENTERTAIN.

Hands off our BBC.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Hey darling, I've a few good go to pods for nighttime listening. Rutherford and Fry’s is great, friendly and accessible, same with the Infinite monkey cage with Brian Cox ands Robin Ince. More or less needs a come back.

Hands off our BBC.

And a cut and paste copy of the podcast Answer Me This. The beeb thought it up very soon after turning down Answer Me This as a radio 4 show.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Hands off our BBC.

On to 'em both!
And 'The best thing since Sliced Bread'....

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Top Bottom