Considering a SS/Fixie, advice pls on these...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

I've nearly finished my own build, starting with no parts whatsoever - there was nothing cheap at all about it!

But like you say, I've ended up with exactly what I wanted without compromises so I won't end up changing everything.

OP
OP
M

mightyquin

Well I'm also interested in a single speed but I had not even looked at what was in offer until I saw the bikes shown here :biggrin: - I'm surprised at how cheap some of these bikes are. I wanted to build myself a single speed one out of a Reynolds 531 frame - mainly because I wanted something with a bit more character and also wanted to experience the joy of finding the parts and putting it all together. It will cost me more than the £330 bike from Wiggle but that is OK cause the bike I'm building will have things like a brooks saddle to start with, will be painted with a colour of my choice, the gear ratio will be decided by me, etc,etc. The point I'm trying to make is that you can indeed build yourself a singles speed out an old bike, it will probably cost you a bit more that some of those bikes listed here but at the same time you are building it the way you want to. I know that if I bought any of those bikes listed here I would have to spend an extra 100+ in a saddle, handlebars, etc.

If I knew (when I know) what I'm doing that's the way I'd go, more fun I think!

OP
OP
M

mightyquin

The kona has a better, butted, frame than the Charge which is plain guage, and better/nicer/hipper wheels. Prefer the Plug's chainset though. I'd have to chuck the Plug's 'guards in a skip. in the flesh, in that colour they look awful imo. Charge paint is not the most robust on the planet either.

I own a plug btw so am not merely biased in favour of the Kona but it's a better/prettier bike, and prettier is important right....?

I looked at both bikes in the shops, both are nice bikes and of course, looks are important!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I looked at both bikes in the shops, both are nice bikes and of course, looks are important!

whereas I bought my plug 2010 merely because it was cheap from wiggle!

though I've grown accustomed to its face, as it were, as it has a certain robust charm, which is about to get a deal more aggressive once I put the new cockpit on.

OP
OP
M

mightyquin

Is your Plub the cherry red one with green wheels? I was very tempted by one of those yesterday and could have opened my wallet if the salesman had bothered to pay any attention! Lovely bikes and nicely finished.

But......I've collected my s/h Paddy Wagon tonight and am very happy so far, although I only rode it a short distance (no lights). It's 'well loved' with a good few marks here and there, so I'm not going to be precious about it (I'd be so careful with a brand new bike) but I'd like to refresh it a little with new grip tape and saddle, maybe in some funky colour!

There's no fixed wheel cog on the upgraded wheels, but I'm happy to stick to the SS/freewheel for a while. I think it's going to be fun! :thumbsup: (will add a pic later).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Is your Plub the cherry red one with green wheels? I was very tempted by one of those yesterday and could have opened my wallet if the salesman had bothered to pay any attention! Lovely bikes and nicely finished.

But......I've collected my s/h Paddy Wagon tonight and am very happy so far, although I only rode it a short distance (no lights). It's 'well loved' with a good few marks here and there, so I'm not going to be precious about it (I'd be so careful with a brand new bike) but I'd like to refresh it a little with new grip tape and saddle, maybe in some funky colour!

There's no fixed wheel cog on the upgraded wheels, but I'm happy to stick to the SS/freewheel for a while. I think it's going to be fun! :thumbsup: (will add a pic later).

Blue Charge Plug 2010. It now has different wheels on, Halo Aerorage.

OP
OP
M

mightyquin

Here's my ride. Bit dull looking though, I'm thinking of pimping it with a new saddle, grip tape, and possibly new brake handles (top bar fitting instead). Any ideas?

Attachments

• paddywagon.jpg
    paddywagon.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 65

colinr

It's not dull, it's understated, a fine look. I'd go for black bar tape because it doesn't show the filth off so much.

Brakes, is this because you're not comfortable riding on the hoods? I'd get used to them before deciding to mess with things, you could get cross levers and have brakes in both positions though.

OP
OP
M

mightyquin

Cheers both, yes it looks understated and probably better that way to avoid the attention of theives. I was considering brown saddle and bar tape for a slightly more retro look but I think it need more chrome for that look too (?), so maybe I'll stick with black (I like it more having taken that pic!).

Brakes - I guess I am still trying to get used to the drop bars/hoods - I had a racer before so it's not completely new to me, although I'm tending to ride on the hoods mostly rather than drops. Cross levers would be ideal, but I'll give it more time first to see how I get on.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
well done for getting the half link chain on the right way up and the right way round (are you listening Evans Gatwick)

could do with a bit of slack taking out though.

nice bike.

OP
OP
M

mightyquin

Cheers.

I went to the Evans maintenance workshop in Croydon last night (posted a 'review' in the general section for other newbies) which was great if you've never worked on a bike before.

The guy there, (thanks Oli) showed me how to tension the chain correctly and recommended a grey Charge saddle to replace the tatty old one that came with the bike. I bought stuff to clean and lube the chain at the weekend, and the rest of the bike is OK for now, but I want to change the bar tape and brake hoods.....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cheers.

I went to the Evans maintenance workshop in Croydon last night (posted a 'review' in the general section for other newbies) which was great if you've never worked on a bike before.

The guy there, (thanks Oli) showed me how to tension the chain correctly and recommended a grey Charge saddle to replace the tatty old one that came with the bike. I bought stuff to clean and lube the chain at the weekend, and the rest of the bike is OK for now, but I want to change the bar tape and brake hoods.....

See this is why they offer the courses! :tongue: Wouldnt bother me though because I buy kit from them all the time. I still want to do the indexing workshop.

OP
OP
M

mightyquin

Of course, it's a great way for them to make a few sales but I needed everything I bought (I should add that I asked which saddle they'd recommend to go with the bike) and a great opportunity as you have your bike with you, and the staff don't have to serve anyone else.

Top Bottom