Considering an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
Also, I would recommend e-bikes where the motor has some form of gearing - either sun/planet in a hub motor, or drive through the chainrings, as it appears you mainly need assistance climbing hills.
There are a large number of large, ungeared "pancake" motor systems around, which are good on the flats and just about manage to climb hills because they are immensely powerful BUT are very inefficient when doing so (also, very heavy).

Linford

I work with a chap who has one of these http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item...rames/Wisper_90_SE_City_S_Electric_bikes.aspx

Well, in fact he has 2 of them as he bought a spare used one off ebay after about 18 months. He swears by it and uses it all the time. He has had ME for a few years and cycling a regular bike is beyond him. He commutes about 24 miles a day, and does charge it up from time to time in work, but this is not always the case as it does have a good range.
It looks like a bicycle, is well screwed together, has saved him a lot of money, but it isn't cycling as he rarely pedals.

eebiker

I have used a BionX kit for 4 years. Its very good. The Trek now uses a BionX motor so might be worth a look. There are now a lot of other good electric bikes on the market (and quite a lot of cheaper rubbish). Electric bike magazine is a good place to start www.electricbikemag.co.uk/

Its good to try several out, they all vary and you want to find something that suits you.

Top Bottom