Considering Dynamo Hub - lots of questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
Hi

I have my first overnight ride coming up (Exmouth Exodus) which I'll do with battery lights. I was pointed at a current article on Dynamo Hubs and was amazed at how efficient these things are, especially compared to my childhood memories of something that chewed tyres up and made me collapse exhausted,

Where does the wiring run ?

What happens when you need to take the wheel off the bike (eg visit from the p fairy) ?

What kind of lights can be run from them ? Would it drive my Fluxient 3 XM-L U2 for example ? That uses an 8 x 18650 pack which is 4 x 2, ie 7 ish volts.

Betraying my newbie nature again I'm afraid. I'm not likely to jump into this one, but confess it's interesting. Maybe if I get the overnight riding bug.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The wiring on my Paper Bike goes inside the back mudguard, connects to the hub from inside the frame, I think. The front light wiring goes inside an opening on the top tube.
Only had the bike for a few weeks, did not ride it after dark yet.
It will be difficult to find out if the back light is working.
Removing the back wheel is a bit fiddly, not because of the light, because of the hub.
Bike mechanic says to come back at a workshop session, he will supervise me while I attempt it :girldance:
Will let you know how it goes.
Soon it will be permanently dark here anyway, plenty of chances to review lights!

ushills

Veteran
Go for a Shimon dyno hub and a b&m cyo and you won't want anything else.

Wheel release is easy as a small plug connects the hub to the cable. Wiring is like a bike computer zip ties and surface fixed.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Go for a Shimon dyno hub and a b&m cyo and you won't want anything else.
I have this set up on my hybrid & its good. My commute involves unlit country roads & this set up is adequate, although I find a dark spot just infront of the bike.
On my tourer I've upgraded to a dynamo system, but opted for the Supernova E3 light which is far better, but more expensive too :blush:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi

I have my first overnight ride coming up (Exmouth Exodus) which I'll do with battery lights. I was pointed at a current article on Dynamo Hubs and was amazed at how efficient these things are, especially compared to my childhood memories of something that chewed tyres up and made me collapse exhausted,

Where does the wiring run ?

What happens when you need to take the wheel off the bike (eg visit from the p fairy) ?

What kind of lights can be run from them ? Would it drive my Fluxient 3 XM-L U2 for example ? That uses an 8 x 18650 pack which is 4 x 2, ie 7 ish volts.

Betraying my newbie nature again I'm afraid. I'm not likely to jump into this one, but confess it's interesting. Maybe if I get the overnight riding bug.

I have a SON hub generator driving a B&M IQ Cyo front light and a Lidl rack-mounted taillight. The light produced is very bright indeed, with negligible drag. My lights are at full brightness from about 4mph, the latest SON generator achieves this at just 1.5-2mph, making it suitable even for MTB riding at night.

It cost me £175 supplied and fitted to a new wheel, carried out by Ben at Kinetics in Glasgow. The wiring is simple, just a double strand goes from the light unit down the fork leg to two spade connectors on the hub to allow easy removal of the front wheel. It's dead easy to hide this on the inside of the fork using gaffer tape cut in a neat strip.

If you're worried about drag, think about like this: if you measure it in terms of riding uphill, the drag from my SON while switched on is the same as riding a hill with an incline of about 3.8 feet in 1 mile, so small as to be insignificant. The drag when off is about 10 inches in 1 mile.

I chose SON over Shimano after looking at the reliability, power output, performance and drag comparisons where it beats the Shimano hands down. It is dearer though.

My lights are fit & forget. The switch options are on/off/senso. The first two are obvious, the third is a setting where the light comes on automatically at dusk (or in a tunnel) and goes of when it's daylight again. It is not fooled by oncoming headlights of cars. Front and rear lights stay on when stationary for at least seven or eight minutes, so no worries at traffic lights.

Take a look at Peter White's site for everything you need to know about dynamos.

It's been the best investment in lighting I've ever made.

GC

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Shimano Alfine hub in the front wheel of my Rose ebike.

There's a small two-pin plug for wheel removal, which is fairly easy although I doubt it's robust enough to be disconnected dozens of times.

The rest of the wiring is largely internal, although there is a small curly cable from the fork crown into the downtube.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Just had a call from John at SPA, wheel will arrive tomorrow. So,

B&M LUXOS U - fitted
Phillips safelight rear - fitted
SON28 wheel arriving tomorrow
Just need to cable and test.

Not doing EE this year though due to family medical stuff. Next year.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just had a call from John at SPA, wheel will arrive tomorrow. So,

B&M LUXOS U - fitted
Phillips safelight rear - fitted
SON28 wheel arriving tomorrow
Just need to cable and test.

Not doing EE this year though due to family medical stuff. Next year.

That's a super setup. How much is that lot setting you back?

GC

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
That's a super setup. How much is that lot setting you back?

GC

Probably too much ... I try to avoid buying junk, but tend to go too far the other way I think.

The Luxos U (when I eventually found stock) was £130 ish.
The Phillips was good value at around £25 (I'd have to check)
The wheel was £200.

Sheesh - wish I hadn't added that lot up ... :-)

The EE was my justification, but hey this should be a solid commuter setup and I'm sure I'll get to do some overnight rides.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
another question for the dynamo-experienced then ... do you also carry battery driven spare lights ?

no real hardship with some of the lighter stuff out there I guess. I have plenty and spare batts too.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
another question for the dynamo-experienced then ... do you also carry battery driven spare lights ?
I still use battery lights too. Smart lux 35 on front & at least one other on rear, depends on bike as to which rear lights. Belts & braces & all that :thumbsup: But my dynamo lights have never failed me.

Davidc

Guru

no real hardship with some of the lighter stuff out there I guess. I have plenty and spare batts too.

Yes. At the back I always, as a minimum, have dynamo and a bright battery light, at the front I have the dynamo CYO60 (a lesser one on the town bike) and an electron be seen type light. For long dark rides and in bad weather on unlit roads I also carry a Hope Vision 1.

Next week on the EE it'll be the full works - Dynamo running CYO60 and Toplight, Batteries running the electron and Hope V1 at the front, and 2 Blackburn Mars 4s at the back.

I've been using the Shimano hubs (one on each bike) for a long time and mine have performed perfectly so far.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Yes. At the back I always, as a minimum, have dynamo and a bright battery light, at the front I have the dynamo CYO60 (a lesser one on the town bike) and an electron be seen type light. For long dark rides and in bad weather on unlit roads I also carry a Hope Vision 1.

Next week on the EE it'll be the full works - Dynamo running CYO60 and Toplight, Batteries running the electron and Hope V1 at the front, and 2 Blackburn Mars 4s at the back.

I've been using the Shimano hubs (one on each bike) for a long time and mine have performed perfectly so far.

Good luck on the EE, wish I was doing it.

Top Bottom