Constant Clicking!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart1987

Regular
I have been cycling on my road bike for a while, however, lately, whenever I turn my pedal there is a clicking sound, on each turn. Regardless of how much cleaning and maintainance it has recieved it still seems to do it! it has become very frustrating.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stuart

Try tightening the pedals and cranks. Also dirt between the cranks and the bottom bracket can cause that. Also is there any play in the cranks if you try to move them side to side? Could you try swapping the pedals from another bike to rule them out?

I had this on my Boardman. I cleaned the chain, front and rear mechs, cogs, cassettes, no good. I Regreased the pedals, no good. Regreased the wheel bearings, no good. Was at the point of wondering if it was the headset, as the clicking stopped if I put no weight on the handlebars, when I finally tracked it down....

Tighten the bolts holding the saddle rails, and give them a blast of GT85. It was actually the saddle clicking and creaking, which it only did as my pedals (and thus my bum) moved! It's back to a silent runner now :biggrin:

Berties

Fast and careful!
May be wets got in the back wheel bearings behind the cassette,I had it last week thought it was pedals,was the rear wheel in the end, I let the lbs do there ting!it will seem like its when you pedal as it emulates from when the wheel is no longer free wheeling,water gets in the grease and don't like to come back out

Thomk

Guru
Try tightening the pedals and cranks. Also dirt between the cranks and the bottom bracket can cause that. Also is there any play in the cranks if you try to move them side to side? Could you try swapping the pedals from another bike to rule them out?
Remove pedals and cranks and grease then before tightening them. Does it click when out of the saddle? Does it really click on both sides? Have you checked your cleats/pedal cages? Have you considered play in the headset? Just because it sounds like it's the pedals don't make it so. Work through all the suggestions here from easiest to hardest to rule them out.
Check the quick release skewers are not too tight as well.

I had constant click on my Defy 1, from the left crank. It was driving me nuts. I bought the bike in May and have done a few hundred miles. I have tightened up the allen scrrews on the pedals and on the main one on the crank and it has solved the problem.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have had a constant clicking on my Defy 2 and I have finally tracked it down to my spokes, with a bit of help from my LBS. We had half the front end apart looking for the source of the click. When I am going over more uneven than usual roads (we live out in the sticks) there is this click click click going on. I have now greased the contact points where the spokes cross and the clicking has gone.

Good luck finding the source of your click and sorting it Stuart1987

Your knees are knackered :tongue:

May be wets got in the back wheel bearings behind the cassette,I had it last week thought it was pedals,was the rear wheel in the end, I let the lbs do there ting!it will seem like its when you pedal as it emulates from when the wheel is no longer free wheeling,water gets in the grease and don't like to come back out
Another one for this and I too thought it was the pedals to start off with.

Top Bottom