Constant effort/cadence & overtaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its the same in cars. How often have you been driving, someone overtakes and then sits in front at the same speed as you? It's a psychological inadequacy, an atavistic desire to 'dominte' others.

col.kurtz

My biggest gripe is when you come up behind someone clearly taking it easy, not really paying attention to whats going on around them, even freewheeling on the flats (not as many as you might think in norwich). You have the audacity to overtake them at a decent pace and the next thing you know, you here changing of gears and they're try to stick to your rear wheel as if we were bestest buddies (no i haven't run out of steam!) If you could go that fast in the first place, why didn't you? It's seems to always be late twenty to early middle age blokes on nice looking drop bar/flat bar bikes fresh out of the box. Some cyclist are well tetchy :rolleyes:.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Its the same in cars. How often have you been driving, someone overtakes and then sits in front at the same speed as you?
The weird one in cars is the opposite: speeding up as you're about to overtake.

On motorways and dual-carriageways, I stick cruise-control on and am thus doing a constant speed. I'll often be doing 70, slowly gaining on someone doing 67-ish, then when I pull out to overtake, they speed up. I drop back in behind them and they slow down again.

A good 10%-ish of cars do this.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
The weird one in cars is the opposite: speeding up as you're about to overtake.

On motorways and dual-carriageways, I stick cruise-control on and am thus doing a constant speed. I'll often be doing 70, slowly gaining on someone doing 67-ish, then when I pull out to overtake, they speed up. I drop back in behind them and they slow down again.

A good 10%-ish of cars do this.

Or the ones on nsl's doing 40-45 ish then staying at that speed through villages/30 limits

Sent from the Holodeck on my Tricorder

redcard

Veteran
I overtook a guy on a hybrid this morning, he was doing 20ish mph, which is my cruising speed on that part of the commmute. I decided that I must give him no mercy and powered by at 25+. I kept the speed up and 200 yards later I was starting to suffer, prayed he had turned off ( most cyclists turn off this road to head into the city). Thankfully he had, and I could rest easy, but it was a risk and I could have ended up a bit red-faced.

Ashaman42

Über Member
My biggest gripe is when you come up behind someone clearly taking it easy, not really paying attention to whats going on around them, even freewheeling on the flats (not as many as you might think in norwich). You have the audacity to overtake them at a decent pace and the next thing you know, you here changing of gears and they're try to stick to your rear wheel as if we were bestest buddies (no i haven't run out of steam!) If you could go that fast in the first place, why didn't you? It's seems to always be late twenty to early middle age blokes on nice looking drop bar/flat bar bikes fresh out of the box. Some cyclist are well tetchy :rolleyes:.

Now I sometimes do this, the speeding up when overtaken, though I don't like to ride too close to someone I don't know. It's not because I mind being overtaken but more that I often slip into pootling pace without realising and an overtake 'wakes me up'.

So I speed up for a bit until I forget to ride quickly again.

jaynana

there's a good reason for all this - a slightly faster cycle is often a good challenge for the ride.. :tongue:

except when they ignore traffic lights and take risks beyond my risk treshold...

j

Jdratcliffe

there's a good reason for all this - a slightly faster cycle is often a good challenge for the ride.. :tongue:

except when they ignore traffic lights and take risks beyond my risk treshold...

j
I find these more "fun" to chase i try and catch them while following the rules and not RLJ to prove to them how RLJ didoes work :-)

Waddya call two cyclists going in the same direction?............raaaaaaaace

Really though, Pretty similar to others insofar as keep my pace and if get much closer, drop a couple of gears and hoof past them then drop back to my pace.

Sometimes I scalp, sometimes I get scalped.

Top Bottom