Constructive Criticisms Welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan_Stan

Hi All,

Whilst I am not new to cycling I am new to touring and extended trips. I like to set myself challenges and this years will be doing JOGLE in July.

I intend on using only a rear rack bag only and I will be riding a custom bulit steel Genesis Croix De Fer. I will be staying in B&B's and Travelodge's (if I book Travelodges now I can get a rate of around £27 pn). Travelodge stops are marked with an ** below.

As an Ex Army Commando there are a few places I want to visit (Speen Bridge, Princetown ect) but my route (legs 3 and 8 appear to be unlike most that I have seen on the forum.

Could you please give any advice as to why nobody (or not that I have seen on this forum has gone this way on legs 3 and 8)... Or if anyone has gone a similar way I would well your comments...

In advance, thank you...

Leg 1 JOG to Bonar Bridge (via Loch Naver)
Leg 2 Bonar Bridge to Fort William (via Commando Memorial)
Leg 3 Fort William** to Fairlie (via Kilcreggan - Gourock ferry)
Leg 4 Fairlie to Gretna Green (via A76)
Leg 5 Gretna Green to Preston** (via A 6)
Leg 6 Preston to Ludlow** (lunch with family in Stockton Heath)
Leg 7 Ludlow to Bridgewater** (via Clifton Suspension Bridge)
Leg 8 Bridgewater to Saltash** (via Exeter, Princetown, Yelverton)
Leg 9 Saltash to Lands End (via A390 to Truro and country lanes to Penzance)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Given that it seems that every July for the last 6 years has been horribly wet, are you sure that you can carry enough in that rack bag? I've had to wear full winter kit on some awful summer rides but I certainly wouldn't want to if the weather turned out nice.

I haven't got my map handy to check, but are the A-roads you mentioned really the best of the available options?

Day 6, I don't know your proposed route but the A76 to Dumfries followed by the A75 to Gretna is the shortest route from Fairlie. These however are the two roads in Dumfries & Galloway wouldn't choose to cycle on. The A76 can be variable with heavy traffic and limited overtaking places which makes drivers take chances. The A75 is horrible. It carries heavy and slow traffic, the road has a lot of narrow sections and apart from a short dual carriageway section there are only a few overtaking places. Again, drivers take chances where they shouldn't. Having seen this, I personally wouldn't want to meet one of those drivers because I know they are not looking out for cyclists. The A75 was shut three times within two weeks not long ago due to fatal accidents (vehicular).

OP
OP
D

Dan_Stan

Thanks for the feedback about Leg 6. I will have another map study to see if there is a suitable alternative. Could I ask, is there a route of choice given your local knowledge of the area? My main reason for this route was to avoid Loch Lomond and Glasgow. Is there a more favourable route to avoid Glasgow?

ColinJ. Unfortunately the only time I have in which to complete this challenge is July so I'll take what ever the weather throws at me. If the weather is poor I have the option of panniers. Again I feel slightly restricted in terms of A roads but mostly the ones I have chosen seemed to be used by many on the JOGLE route.

Again, thank you for your advice...

snorri

Legendary Member
(Speen Bridge,) but my route (legs 3 and 8 appear to be unlike most that I have seen on the forum.
Could you please give any advice as to why nobody (or not that I have seen on this forum has gone this way on legs 3 and 8)...
One of the reasons will be the volume of tourist motor traffic on the A82 in July, it would not be my choice. However if you want to visit the memorial at Spean Bridge you have no option.:smile:

robgul

Legendary Member
Having ridden the stretch of the A82 from the Dornoch Firth Bridge to Fort William (both ways) it's no big deal - road is wide for most of it (IIRC we road N-S on wet Saturday afternoon and S-N on a Thursday morning ... both in mid-June)

Depending what you're used to (I live in the Midlands) the whole of Scotland's road network is like "a country lane" in comparison to the rest of the UK !

Rob

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Depending what you're used to (I live in the Midlands) the whole of Scotland's road network is like "a country lane" in comparison to the rest of the UK !
Er, how about in comparison to country lanes? :whistle:

cyclechatters_old_roman_road_read.jpg

I've seen some very busy A-roads in Scotland which I definitely would not want to cycle on!

Apart from the new A9!!! But there's a pathway along side plus the old A9 so no need to go on it!

Last time I rode the A9 Route, the old A9 was ok with only me on it, but the Cyclepath alongside of the New A9 was a switch back route and overgrown and not an easy ride, but looking at the New A9 and the manic traffic on it I decided the switch back was the lesser of the 2 evils

wintonbina

Über Member
Is there a more favourable route to avoid Glasgow?
Yes, don't go to Scotland!:rolleyes:

The A9 is ok, it just depends what you are used to. We rode it and it was ok bar the coaches!:whistle:.
Enjoy every minute though (even the hills up) it'll soon be over & done!
Good luck, Tony

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Given that it seems that every July for the last 6 years has been horribly wet, are you sure that you can carry enough in that rack bag? I've had to wear full winter kit on some awful summer rides but I certainly wouldn't want to if the weather turned out nice.

Yikes...I'm doing it with no panniers...just the kit I stand up in and a toothbrush pretty much...but the English summer will not let me down:sun:

Top Bottom