Contented Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eddiemee

Hi all,

Been visiting the site for some time now so thought I should finally contribute something, if only an introduction. Feeling pretty chuffed with myself after doing some work on my transmission so I've struck while the iron's hot and registered. Bit more about me below if you want to read on, but for everyone else just thought I'd say hello.:blush:

Me..
Started commuting about ten years ago. No serious incidents yet (touch wood) but I seem to have about the same number of near misses as most people that post on these forums. Thanks to the posters on this forum I think I've adopted a better road position over the past few years and am certainly more confident whereas in the past I hugged the kerb all the time.

My bike..
Nothing special. 2003 Kona Fire Mountain MTB mostly kitted out with Mega components. Apart from the frame, brake handles/lever, handlebars and seatpost, everything on it has been replaced at least once. Got sick of paying a couple of hundred quid every time I went to the bike shop so I went on a CTUK maintenance course and now (try to) do most things myself. With the course, a copy of Zin and this forum I've become amazed at how much damage/repair can be done with an allen key, a chain whip, cassette tool and crank puller.

My route...
A and B roads around the St Albans/Potters Bar area, usually early morning and late evening so traffic is light but fast moving. Don't mind the cold and wet too much myself but winter is hard on the transmission as the gritters are particularly enthusiastic and there is no indoor bike storage at work. There are a couple of major roundabouts with filter lanes on the way, so I regularly get cut up by motorists who get themselves in the wrong lane and then swerve across at the last minute. The fact that it happens so regularly is both annoying but also means that I can anticipate it most of the time. Only one minor incident on this route about a year ago, a SMIDSY coming out of a side road, but I braked fast enough that I gently bumped her driver side door rather than going over the bonnet. Otherwise it's a pretty nice ride most mornings.

Anyway, that's my introduction out of the way. I look forward to joining the forum.

Hello eddie - transmission works are legion around your way...I used to ride a Verulamium AD 100 but changed it for a later Italian model.
You'll find a lot of 'hypercaust' around here in the café - good job too because it is a bit nippy! :blush:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
You have one bike and you know how to fix it. That's good. Zen-like. That's when I was at my happiest with cycling.

Now I've got five and a one-bedroom flat.

Top Bottom