Conti Sport Contact tyres and guarantee.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSteev

I picked up a pair of these about 3 months ago to use instead of the knobbly off-road tyres on my Gary Fisher so that the winter commute would be easier.
First off, at £20 each including an inner tube, they seemed to be a decent price although not exactly bargain basement. However, they came with a one year guarantee against punctures. Although I was a bit dubious about this it seemed legit so I went with them.
Fitting them to my Bontrager rims was really tough. They just seemed slightly too small only finally going on with a lot of effort/tyre lever usage/sore thumbs, however they have subsequently been moved onto a pair of DT Swiss and they went on a whole lot easier.
Ride wise they've been fine, offering ample grip in both wet and dry conditions and reasonable rolling resistance. Wear too has been fine although I've only put in about 600 miles on them so far, so it's a little early to tell.
Anyway, riding home last Thursday, I finally got a puncture thanks to a piece of flint inbedding itself in the tyre. It only just got through but it was enough to cause a slow puncture which I just about made it home on.
Time to test the guarantee!
I removed the tyre and tube, and packed them, along with my reciept and the guarantee sticker, in my bag. Then it was off to Cycle Surgery where I had bought them. Bit of a puzzled look from the assistant at first, but after he'd checked he returned with a brand new tyre and tube. Result.
OK, so the tyre won't eliminate punctures (although it does have a lot of puncture resistance built in to minimise them), but knowing that they'll be replaced if one does occur is a result in my books.

Top Bottom