Continental Addiction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex11

I don't know why, I've just got a love for Continental. Everything! Tyres, water bottles, jerseys, tyre levers, stickers etc.

They are just such a quality brand - I love the German engineering precision.

Anyone else in the same boat?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Continental tyres are horribly difficult to get on. Much prefer Michelins.
Conti inner tube valves are a bit suspect too. Schwalbes are better IME.

Any tyre can be hard/easy to fit, depending on which rim it is being fitted to - some combinations work better than others. My new Conti CX tyres went on to my EA70s using only my thumbs. Other tyres, on other rims, you might need a crowbar....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I had sore thumbs for days following fitting a pair of Gatorskins to a set of Mavic Ellipse track wheels (which I use on the road, not racing on the track with Gatorskins :tongue:), dread the day they have to come back off.

lejogger

Guru
I have Contis on the carbon and Michelin on the commuter. I struggled just as much with both!!
The conti inner tube valves are a right pain because they only ever tighten them to a hand pressure. It's not an issue with the track pump that clips on and off but when your 'on the bike' hand pump has a screw on attachment and you've forgotten to tighten your spare tube valve with pliers there is actually nothing worse than having just finished a repair, spent 5 minutes getting the pressure right back up, and then hearing that pffffffft as you slowly unscrew the pump and half the valve unscrews itself and you're back to square one.
I do like the yellow valve caps though !
Valve caps? Are you sure they're allowed?!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I have Contis on the carbon and Michelin on the commuter. I struggled just as much with both!!
As mentioned above - rims vary too. I started a (hopefully useful) thread about this in ANOTHER PLACE

Valve caps? Are you sure they're allowed?!
^_^

U

User6179

Swapped from ultremos zx to gp4000s and found them a bit tighter but I could take the ultremos off without tyre levers^_^ so i think any tyre would be tighter .
If i was offered conti tubes for free i think I would decline after using them (maybe faulty batch but all 6 were a pain), schwalbe tubes I find to be the best as they rarely need pumped up and are slighty bigger with less joins than others so seem easier to repair compaired to say a halfords tube.
I wont even start on gatorskins:whistle:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tyres at the moment. They were an absolute nightmare to fit first time. Quite unlike anything else, including M+.

Tynan

Veteran
conti super sport plus is my commuter tyre of choice at present, seemingly invulnerable and handle well, I'm hard on rear tyres but the present one is now a year old, square and showing the orange breaker belt all the way round and still no deflations, the new one I bought to replace it has been resting in the hall for months

as for fitting to mavic open pros, yes, a tweak from the tyre lever is usually called for for the last bit

lejogger

Guru
I've got Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tyres at the moment. They were an absolute nightmare to fit first time. Quite unlike anything else, including M+.
you see I found the 4 seasons an absolute doddle on my cx, but the michelin were a nightmare.

Perhaps this is an inexact science?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
you see I found the 4 seasons an absolute doddle on my cx, but the michelin were a nightmare.

Perhaps this is an inexact science?
The Conti 4 Seasons were a problem for me because they were so blooming floppy, unlike the Marathon Plus which were finger-bleeding stiff. The Contis didn't seen to want to "pop" onto the rim anywhere at all.
You are of course absolutely right....it's all down to the Karma at the time!

Top Bottom