continental gatorskin 700x28 - splits in tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kresus

My Continental Gatorskin tyres aren't that old and the wear indicators are fine. However, the tyres has a few splits and digs in the top surface. I mainly cycle on roads or cycle paths, but off road or anywhere hard going.

From the inside of the tyres, all looks sound. Should I be looking at replacing the tyres or are they still sound?

Has anyone else had this problem with these tyres?

Many Thanks
Martin

IMG_20220830_171329.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Has anyone else had this problem with these tyres?

That could happen to any tyre. I reckon that you probably rode over a piece of glass.

Since it hasn't gone all the way though...

Superglue will fix that.

... but keep an eye on it. I had a superglue repair fail, but the cut had actually penetrated through the tyre in my case.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As a belt and braces job just stick a normal inner tube patch on the inside.
I do that too now!

My tyre failure could have had catastrophic consequences for me...

I used superglue when I discovered a cut in my new front tyre just before taking my bike to Spain. I rode the bike for a few days - no problem. Did the big mountain day, including 50 mph descents round tight bends with no barriers and big drop offs from them - no problem. Next morning, before we set off on the day's ride someone pointed at my front wheel. The tyre cut had ripped open and the inner tube was bulging through the hole! (Ex top pro Robert Millar was at the hotel testing bikes and he lent me a front wheel until I could get hold of a new tyre! :becool:)

Top Bottom