Continental Gatorskins for Tricross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sibaldib

I currently have the standard Borough CX tyres on the bike but fancy some faster tyres for purely road use (will swap back for the winter or when I start using more tracks)

I had a look around at Bike Radar at the weekend and spoke to a few manufacturers. I have Schwalbe Marathons on my Brompton and Batavus City bike and they have been fantastic puncture wise. However there is no doubt they are a heavy tyre.

After talking to the manufacturers/importers I thought I would try Continental Ultra Gatorskins in 700x28 size. Before I order I thought I would seek some advice from the forum members on these tyres' speed/puncture proof ability.

Cheers

Sib

Alun

Guru
I currently have the standard Borough CX tyres on the bike but fancy some faster tyres for purely road use (will swap back for the winter or when I start using more tracks)

I had a look around at Bike Radar at the weekend and spoke to a few manufacturers. I have Schwalbe Marathons on my Brompton and Batavus City bike and they have been fantastic puncture wise. However there is no doubt they are a heavy tyre.

After talking to the manufacturers/importers I thought I would try Continental Ultra Gatorskins in 700x28 size. Before I order I thought I would seek some advice from the forum members on these tyres' speed/puncture proof ability.

Cheers

Sib

I've had 700 x 28 ultra gatorskins for a couple of years/ 2000miles on a Pinnacle CX bike with only 1 puncture, they seem quite fast but that's fairly subjective. I haven't noticed any problems with wet weather grip, so I'd recommend them. I've just done a 300 mile trip in Scotland with a rack/panniers including forest roads and canal towpaths and they stood up to that, but i would ideally want something like a 32mm tyre for other than tarmac.

Tynan

Veteran
28 is quite fat for road use, 25 is usually seen as the fast/comfy balance, 23 maybe a tad quicker

gatorskins ... people like them or don't, people say they're bombproof or cut up and puncture too easily, lots of people find them a bit dodgy when cornering in the wet, I had them fitted from new by Condor on their recomendation and took them after a month because they frightened me in the wet

there's other very rated tyres out there that don;t have people that don;t like them, searh the forum for endless tyre threads

Broadside

Guru
Agree with Tynan on this. I have just fitted some Gatorskins 700x25c. I am still getting used to them but I have my doubts about them in damp conditions - i certainly got a big fright when cornering on a steep downhill on Sunday - I thought I was going over as the front wheel slipped out. My last tyres (Specialized All Condition) were far more grippy in the wet.

With all of that said, the guy I was riding with had a brand new pair of Gatorskins on his bike too and he was fine with them. Horses for courses and all that.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Gatorskin 28s are quite a narrow 28 - closer to 26.

I find no problem with grip, and very few punctures until the tyre is getting towards the worn out state.
I sometimes wonder if they have more mould release agent on then other brands, so you have problems if you test the wet grip in the first few rides, before it's scrubbed off.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have done over 2000 miles on my current set of Conti Gatorskins (700x28) without problems, but then it never rains in Scotland ;)

ACS

Legendary Member
I have never used Gatorskin so I cannot comment on them. On the advice of my LBS I have been using Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase (25's) on both my Tricross and Sirrus sport (commuter 100 m per week). They have proved to be excellent VFM, no visits in 18 months so I am happy with them.

Howard

28 is quite fat for road use, 25 is usually seen as the fast/comfy balance, 23 maybe a tad quicker

If you consider 700*23s just be careful your wheels will take them safely. I'm assuming the tricross has CX wheels which tend to be a bit wider than road wheels to accommodate CX tyres (i.e. 622X17mm) . Looking at the spec sheet for the 09 tricross sport it's actually 19mm so your options are quite limited on this. As usual Sheldon is the place to go.

l4dva

Guru
I had 700*25's on my tricross they worked brilliantly.

I went for michellin krylion carbons, very quick and puncture resistant tyre. A lot lighter than gatorskins, and just as durable. They are also designed for all weather riding to so you'll be safe on wet rides!

OP
OP
S

sibaldib

Thank you all for your input.

I have decided to go with the Gatorskins in 700 x 28 and have just put in my order.

Your help is much appreciated

Regards

Sib

Top Bottom