Continental gp5000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
i usually use the gp 4000s mk2’s. are these worth the extra cash, they are for my race wheels.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes, I go 5mph faster with GP 5000's

Continental claim the following:

The Continental GP 5000 at a glance
  • 14 years since the GP4000 was first introduced
  • GP 5000 available in clincher and tubeless up to 32mm wide
  • 12% better rolling resistance
  • 20% increased puncture resistance
  • Improved grip and comfort and 10g lighter
  • LazerGrip lazer engraved textured shoulders to enhance cornering grip
  • Active Comfort Technology is a layer of elastomer dampening material inside the tyre designed to dampen vibrations
  • GP 5000 Tubeless is 5% lower rolling resistance and 5% improved puncture resistance over its clincher sibling
  • GP5000 clincher and tubeless tyres will cost €61 and €75 respectively (£250 and £430 p-b*)

* - Post Brexit :laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
Yeah the bumph sounds like they are a wonder tyre, the answer to all my cycling needs. However I need some real world experiences tho!!

CXRAndy

Guru
Improved tyre, but not as much as the numbers indicate. If they're like the Schwalbe One Pros, they will be fast, grippy and wear very quickly

The Continental GP 5000 at a glance
  • 14 years since the GP4000 was first introduced
  • GP 5000 available in clinchers and tubeless up to 32mm wide
  • 12% better rolling resistance
  • 20% increased puncture resistance
  • Improved grip and comfort and 10g lighter
  • LazerGrip lazer engraved textured shoulders to enhance cornering grip
  • Active Comfort Technology is a layer of elastomer dampening material inside the tyre designed to dampen vibrations
  • GP 5000 Tubeless is 5% lower rolling resistance and 5% improved puncture resistance over its clincher sibling
  • GP5000 clincher and tubeless tyres will cost €61 and €75 respectively (£250 and £430 p-b*)

* - Post Brexit :laugh::laugh:
  • Bulshitting the public for a decade and a half, and still milking it.
  • Put a Grand Prix-sounding prefix in there and people will believe that clinchers and tubeless are two different things.
  • Better rolling resistance than a Skidoo on tarmac
  • 20% less punctures than a solid wheelbarrow wheel.
  • Grips slightly better than fried egg on teflon, but hey, it is so light you can measure the difference.
  • Light Amplification by Ztimulated Emission of Radiation.
  • Thick rubber on the outside (but sill 10 grams lighter than a wheelbarrow tyre).
  • Tubeless is very 50% more expensive, but hey, we give back 5% in intangibles.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
  • Bulshitting the public for a decade and a half, and still milking it.
  • Put a Grand Prix-sounding prefix in there and people will believe that clinchers and tubeless are two different things.
  • Better rolling resistance than a Skidoo on tarmac
  • 20% less punctures than a solid wheelbarrow wheel.
  • Grips slightly better than fried egg on teflon, but hey, it is so light you can measure the difference.
  • Light Amplification by Ztimulated Emission of Radiation.
  • Thick rubber on the outside (but sill 10 grams lighter than a wheelbarrow tyre).
  • Tubeless is very 50% more expensive, but hey, we give back 5% in intangibles.

Hmmm. You’re not selling it to me.

lane

Veteran

mustang1

Guru
Going with above website:
Gp4000 has slightly better puncture resistance than Gp5000 which has a tad lower rolling resistance.

So, I guess nothing new here?

Ps: not used 5000 but I'm sure that is a great tyre. Is 5000 replacing 4000 or will be sold alongside it? (I guess the former).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Conti have form for making 'stupid' tyres, I've got a set of 'Grand Prix Supersonic' in 20mm that have the puncture protection of a wet tissue, will 'pinch flat' unless at 160psi (max is 190) and make even a 531 frame feel harsh but I love em.

This guy talks a bit of twaddle (he doesn't seem to know the difference between a 'flat' and a puncture) but it's entertaining nonetheless

View: https://youtu.be/r8Q9MTIlzd8

Ajax Bay

Guru
i usually use the gp 4000s mk2’s. are these [GP 5000 clinchers] worth the extra cash
Bicyclerollingresistance.com have done the comparison for you:
Compare/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-continental-grand-prix-5000-2018
You can get 4000s for £30 and 5000s for £38 (+ P&P unless you buy £100+ worth). So for a pair of tyres you'd be paying £16 for a saving of 4.4w. But consider Michelin Power Competition at £31. So for a pair of tyres you'd be paying £2 for a saving of 2.2w. No brainer.

Top Bottom