Continental Safety System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Continental offer a 1 year guarantee against p8nctures for some of their road-orientated tyres. This suggests that they're pretty confident of their product, though consumer reviews vary.

Has anyone any experience of their tyres and their Safety System guarantee?

Mark_Robson

My bike came with Continental Ultra Race Tyres which have the safety system and I had my first puncture within 6 miles.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Every road going conti I have ever owned (barring supersonics,but they dissolve in the wet anyway) have been nothing short of a joke when it comes to punctures. One pair of sport contacts lasted less than a month before they were wuite literally showing canvas.

02GF74

Über Member
dan_bo said:
Every road going conti I have ever owned (barring supersonics,but they dissolve in the wet anyway) have been nothing short of a joke when it comes to punctures. One pair of sport contacts lasted less than a month before they were wuite literally showing canvas.

LOL - what you did not mention is that you cycled 400 miles per day!! :biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have to admit I have no time for Contis. I find they cut up really easily and p*****re really frequently. I'm talking GPs and Gatorskins here.

I used to run Conti Top Tourers on the commuter bike. Now admittedly, even when I was fighting fit I weighed around 12 stone, and I always carried a heavy pannier on the back of the bike, but the Conti sidewalls used to disintegrate after hardly any mileage, for such an expensive tyre supposedly designed for laden touring. And no, the brake blocks weren't rubbing on the tyre and they were correctly inflated.:biggrin:

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Moodyman said:
Continental offer a 1 year guarantee against p8nctures for some of their road-orientated tyres. This suggests that they're pretty confident of their product, though consumer reviews vary.

Has anyone any experience of their tyres and their Safety System guarantee?

I am using 26x1.75 Continental City Contact with Safety System. They roll very well and no p**ct*res as yet *touch wood*

BigSteev

I've got Sport Contacts on the winter bike and have had 1 puncture over the winter. Cycle Surgery replaced the tyre and tube under the guarantee with no problem at all.

Likewise, I have sport contacts on my Nemesis. I had a puncture within the first year and claimed for the new tyre & tube with no problem.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's nice to know that shops are replacing happily under the warranty, but the number of posts where people are getting puctures suggests that the tyres are not ideal where p8ncture protection is priority.

I think I'll leave the front and run a Marathon Plus on the rear. As a year-round commuter I prefer reliability over speed - especially when my new bike will have hub gears. Hub gears don't come with quick release so changing tubes roadside is not an attractive proposition.

Thanks for the replies.

normgow

Guru
I punctured an almost new Conti GP 4000 yesterday but it was really my own fault as I tried to jump up a raised edge on a cycle path and didn't lift up the rear wheel.
Result a snake bite but as I was nearly home and the sun was shining, putting in a new inner tube was no great problem.
Have never heard about a puncture warranty, maybe it doesn't apply in Germany.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Funny you should say that. I got in from a club run on Wednesday evening, and on Thursday morning the sidewall had come away from the bead, allowing the tube and 120 psi to make a break for freedom. 700C by 28 mm Gatorskin, it was.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
dan_bo said:

wtf are you doing to them danbo ? When I used to commute on my mtb I would get 11 months out of mine <cough cough> ;) before getting a free replacement from wiggle :smile:

Top Bottom