continental travel contact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snowy10

Hi
I have some Continental Travel contact tires on my Robert roughstuff and I have had nothing but punctures. As, it's a new bike, The Travel Contact tires were recommended as the best touring tires on the market. but, I am thinking of going back to Shwalbe. As, I had them on my Holdsworth and never had any problems with them. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks.

What pressure are you running them at?
I had a pair of these for two years with only one puncture.

Crankarm

Guru
I'm surprised as I have a pair of these on one of my bikes and have never had a puncture with them. Don't use that bike much except in the winter but they are still in good nick. They have good reviews. Where are you cycling, Baghdad or a briar patch? I think max pressure is about 85-100 psi. I think I would have run them at near max pressure as poss as 85-100 psi is a bit low for my liking.

Cranky

I used Travel Contacts for a number of long tours on an MTB and only ever had one puncture towards the end of their life. As others have said, I did have the pressures well up to maximum.

However, I'm now using Schwalbe Marathons (700x32) on my current tourer and haven't had a puncture in 2,500 miles, including a fair amount of off-road trails.

OP
OP
snowy10

snowy10

Hi, Thanks for replying. I never have less than 80 psi, apart when I have to fix a road side puncture and sometimes struggle with a small pump to get the pressure over 80 psi. I thought the Travel Contact had puncture proofing in them ie Kevlar, but mine don't seem to have this inside.
many Thanks.

hubbike

snowy10 said:
Hi
I have some Continental Travel contact tires on my Robert roughstuff and I have had nothing but punctures. As, it's a new bike, The Travel Contact tires were recommended as the best touring tires on the market. but, I am thinking of going back to Shwalbe.
Thanks.

I also have a roughstuff with continental travel contact and the side walls of the rear tyre have fallen to bits. I've had to make do with a local junky rear tyre for now but I will replace with Schwalbe when possible. Every long distance tourer I have met has Schwalbe Marathon XR tyres and I dont really think it is a coincidence...

jay clock

Massive member
I have these tyres on my tourer and reckon I have done over 2000 miles on them without one of those p things. The rear one does seem to have tons (ie hundreds) of tiny slits on the surface as if I have cycled through stanley knife blades but I think this is perishing of some type.

Mine are 26" ones and I do keep them pumped to the max

Top Bottom