1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continental UltraGatorskin Tyres

Discussion in 'Shopping, Services, Offers and Reviews' started by Aperitif, 8 May 2008.

1. Make: Continental UltraGatorskin 700 x 25c - other sizes available.
    Price: £12.06 Ribble to £19.99 Evans
    Shop around for best price - particularly in the 'dry' season.

10idk4h.jpg

An unused tyre, less than 500km in the centre, and one after 7000km on the right.

As a newcomer to heavier duty tyres, I read reviews etc - as you do - and decided to invest in these.
    Obviously they were a massive improvement over the worn 23c tryres previously installed on my bike (Veneto/Altec2, Campag. etc, Khamsin wheels).

My commute does entail a lot of roadworks and resurfacing works - coupled with the mindless application of red chippings, green chippings and gritty anti-slip to define certain 'road user areas'... I'm sure this stuff is a contributory factor to tyre wear, particularly if you have the smoother, less mountain knobbly rubberwear!

Anyway, after approx 7000km I changed my tyres last week and the difference was noticeable - more response and traction it seems. Did not notice this when fitting these tyres for the first time as everything was a bit different - learning the principles of commuting if you like.

I had a few punctures but not frequently, except towards the end of their 'life' on the grind from Heathrow to North London - 28+/- km each way, rain or shine.

The only slippiness I get is in the wet, from the stainless steel diamond studs in the road and, of course, drain covers and road paint - which is the same for everyone running slicker tyres I guess.

Cornering and general riding - not a problem. I am 106kg and they take a fair dose of 'applied pressure' from above :tongue: Recommended tyre pressure is
    6rh8r4.jpg

a little less in adverse conditions, ramp it up! when the weather is dry perhaps?!

Overall, a decent tyre and I'm looking forward to increased life from the second set (and third and fourth :tongue:).

Should the worst happen, a bit of force is needed to prise a new tyre onto (my) rims (Campagnolo Khamsin) - but this generally is a good thing as too 'easy' a tyre fit is not my preference. Always take care with the inner tubes - of course!:biggrin:

314urvb.jpg

A propos nothing at all, the graphics have swapped sides in my latest tyres - what you see on the new one (in front) is on the other side of the older two!:biggrin: