Control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

By which I mean the film about Ian Curtis and Joy Division (of which I became a big fan some years ago through a mate of mine who was absolutely head-over-heels about them).

Saw it at the flicks yesterday. Must say was very impressed with the cinematography (lovely black and white and great shots) and most of the acting but didn't really get under the skin like great films do.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

longers

Legendary Member
Peter Hook was on the radio last Friday and he said he was contacted by an American film distribution company and was asked if the band would be reforming to promote the release of the film. :biggrin:

I don't know if I can face watching it. I didn't enjoy the book (Touching From A Distance) and I am afraid that it will colour my enjoyment of the music if I am constantly thinking 'that Ian Curtis - he was a real bastard to his wife and kid'.

Richie1964

Melvil said:
By which I mean the film about Ian Curtis and Joy Division (of which I became a big fan some years ago through a mate of mine who was absolutely head-over-heels about them).

Saw it at the flicks yesterday. Must say was very impressed with the cinematography (lovely black and white and great shots) and most of the acting but didn't really get under the skin like great films do.

Hmmm. Plodding. However that guy that played Ian was amazing in every way. What's with the Schneider-Esleben avatar?

SamNichols

longers said:
Peter Hook was on the radio last Friday and he said he was contacted by an American film distribution company and was asked if the band would be reforming to promote the release of the film. :biggrin:

He's used that line before - immediately before Joy Division were put into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. either company execs aren't learning their lessons, or he's repeating his gags. Or, perhaps both.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Richie1964 said:
Hmmm. Plodding. However that guy that played Ian was amazing in every way. What's with the Schneider-Esleben avatar?

Love Kraftwerk and also this interview with schneider:

Big Bren

Hooky has perfected that brand of world-weary cynicism and trots out the same cliches in virtually every interview. It's probably borne out of the fact that he was in one of the greatest pop bands of all time yet made very little money, thanks to the ineptitude of the Factory machine, so is entirely understandable.

I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

Bren

SamNichols

Big Bren said:
Hooky has perfected that brand of world-weary cynicism and trots out the same cliches in virtually every interview. It's probably borne out of the fact that he was in one of the greatest pop bands of all time yet made very little money, thanks to the ineptitude of the Factory machine, so is entirely understandable.

I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

Bren

Hasn't he made a fair bit out of New Order though?

I'm looking forward to seeing it though. And Day Watch (mmm Russian vampire flicks). Haven't been to the cinema for a while now.

Melvil said:

Oooh spooky. I was just listening to Unknown Pleasures for the first time in ages tonight, and here is a thread about Joy Division...

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Kirstie said:
Oooh spooky. I was just listening to Unknown Pleasures for the first time in ages tonight, and here is a thread about Joy Division...

Perhaps this thread was therefore an 'unknown pleasure'?? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Big Bren

SamNichols said:
Hasn't he made a fair bit out of New Order though?

I thought that most of the money New Order made was ploughed into the Hacienda and various other ill-considered Factory projects?

Perhaps he's made a few bob retrospectively, by the flogging of Blue Monday for a Mars advert :biggrin:

Bren

SamNichols

Big Bren said:
I thought that most of the money New Order made was ploughed into the Hacienda and various other ill-considered Factory projects?

Perhaps he's made a few bob retrospectively, by the flogging of Blue Monday for a Mars advert :biggrin:

Bren

If they got royalties everytime either: 'love will tear us apart' or 'blue monday' were played in an indie/student club they'd be pretty minted.

Given the recent greatest hits record as well as all of the repackaged joy division and newer new order records they've probably done alright of late.

Top Bottom