Conversion to drops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
Hey guys, i have this old Marin Mill Valley hack bicycle and i'm wondering if it would be possible to convert it to drop bars with the current componentry (other than getting sti's and drop bars obv)

it has as pictured an ultegra front mec, a tiagra rear mec, sora cranks, avid brakes and a nine speed casssette. would it be possible to change to drops with those components, and if so wot STI's would i need?
IMG_3911.JPG
IMG_3905.JPG
IMG_3906.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG

IMG_3903.JPG

I upgraded my Sirrus to drops. I needed the drops, a new stem, bar tape and sti's out of choice I installed problem solver units to improve the braking. The general advice on the forum was not to bother and by a new bike instead but I'm glad I did, it makes a great winter club bike. Not technically needed for the conversion on other occasions I chose to install a carbon seatpost, spd pedals, new wheels and tyres and subsequently a new saddle.

Here's my thread on the matter and the results.

Chrisz

Über Member
Chainring - if you look at it the teeth are 'hooked' i.e. worn out and therefore should be replaced to prevent further wear on the chain and ensure correct, efficient shifting :biggrin:.

RedBike

Yes; you would need 9 speed levers. (The latest Sora / Tiagra).

It would cost a fortune and you wouldn't gain much. You'd also need to change to cantilever brakes or use 'problem solvers'. STI levers don't pull enough cable to be used with V-brakes.

IMO If you're after speed then you'd be better off getting a proper road bike. If you're after a few more hand positions then you'd be better off just getting a different type of bar that still allow the use of 'flat bar' controls.

RedBike

Yep, I remember about 'problem solvers' and edited my post while you were typing your response.

They're not without their own issues. Which is why you don't see them on any new bikes.
You can get Mini-v brakes instead of Canti's; but I wouldn't recommend them.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
i think ur right, considering i already have a rele nice dropped road bike theres no point spending the money again.

Top Bottom