Convert suspension to fixed fork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenbdm

Hi

Has anyone got a tips or links to good resources for a beginner guide to replacing an old suspension fork with a fixed fork?

Also, where’s a good place to buy a fork from and the tools/kit I need to do the work myself.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Kona Project 2 used to be the go-to fork for this, if you can find one. The axle-crown distance should be similar to that of the loaded suspension fork. P2s came in many different sizes.

The crown race will need swapping and you might as well get a bike shop to do it cheaply. The proper tools are not worth buying unless you do this a lot. There are approaches involving a hammer and punch but you need a little skill to avoid ruining things.

Last edited:
As a tip make sure whatever rigid fork you find fits existing parts and frame which means is it wide enough to fit your tyres, has the same dropouts (QR vs thru), takes the same brakes (V's, canti's or disc (flat or post mount)), fits the head tube (straight vs taper), takes the same stem and is long enough for the head tube, fits the right wheels (26, 27.5 or 29), and doesn't mess with geometry too much. Plus I'd consider buying a new headset when you switch out the fork.

It's not a tricky task to switch out a set of forks IF the fork you get fits. Plenty of youtube videos on how to do it and you can sort of get by with a set of allen keys, long screw driver, mallet and a piece of wood (though I'd recommended getting proper tools or asking your LBS to do the job).

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
S

stephenbdm

Thanks for the replies, thinking I’ll ask my local bike shop to give me a quote before I invest in any tools.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom