Convert to Single Chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LazyLoki

Hi guys,

the front derailleur on my commuter bike is on its way out and seeing as I rarely ever shift out of the middle ring anyway, I was thinking about just getting rid of it and the other two rings.

As far as I can see it should be pretty much as simple as removing the shifter, cable, derailleur and the other rings, but am I missing anything? Will the middle chainring fit onto the crank arms without any modification? I'm pretty new to doing my own work on the bike and don't want to do it before I get any other bits I might need to do the conversion.

Thanks for any input!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Why not just remove the cable from the front mech, set the limiter screws so it doesn't move, and leave the other rings on. Much simpler. It's not like you'll be saving much weight by removing them

say if you need a more detailed description of what I'm talking about...

Bodhbh

Guru
LazyLoki said:
As far as I can see it should be pretty much as simple as removing the shifter, cable, derailleur and the other rings, but am I missing anything? Will the middle chainring fit onto the crank arms without any modification? I'm pretty new to doing my own work on the bike and don't want to do it before I get any other bits I might need to do the conversion.
I had a punt at this recently on the hackbike as the small ring was not getting any use; the middle ring was barely, but I needed it for another bike.

Someone more knowledgable might correct me, although when I tried it it was easy enuff to remove the small ring, but the middle and large ring mount through the same holes and need the thickness of the other ring to hole them tight. I guess you could replace one with some washers - in the end I left it be.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Bodhbh said:
Someone more knowledgable might correct me, although when I tried it it was easy enuff to remove the small ring, but the middle and large ring mount through the same holes and need the thickness of the other ring to hole them tight. I guess you could replace one with some washers - in the end I left it be.

You can use washers, alternatively you can get some specific chainring bolts for a single chainring (the threaded section of the "female" portion of the bolts is shorter). Hubjub sell them here.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
If switching to a single ring, it may be worth keeping the front mech on the bike (held in place over the chainring using the limit screws) to stop the chain coming off the chainring.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Landslide said:
You can use washers, alternatively you can get some specific chainring bolts for a single chainring (the threaded section of the "female" portion of the bolts is shorter)

if you don't wish to part with money and wait for the postman unnecessarily, you can convert double chainring bolts to single easily with one of these.

4FlutedCountersink.jpg

does that spelling look OK to you?

Bodhbh

Guru
Landslide said:
You can use washers, alternatively you can get some specific chainring bolts for a single chainring (the threaded section of the "female" portion of the bolts is shorter). Hubjub sell them here.
Cheers seems a useful site for a few bits and pieces.

Bodhbh said:
Cheers seems a useful site for a few bits and pieces.
Oh dear. Treat HubJub with the same caution that you would use towards the finest quality Peruvian cocaine. It's addictive and expensive. Damn nice though! *

* - HubJub that is. The only coke I've ever come across is the fizzy brown stuff.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
You can often just use single chain ring bolts instead of double; I did that on mine below

2717280060_6ed6cb1cd1.jpg

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Cedric

Hi! Great forum.

Can I ask, is it possible to remove the chainrings without removing the cranks? I've Youtubed this but all of the vids show a mechanic messing about with chainrings on cranks that have already been removed from the bike.

Cheers!

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Cedric said:
Hi! Great forum.

Can I ask, is it possible to remove the chainrings without removing the cranks? I've Youtubed this but all of the vids show a mechanic messing about with chainrings on cranks that have already been removed from the bike.

Cheers!
Depending in the size of the spider then providing the chain rings are indeed removable then yes, with a small spider you may need to remove the pedals, for example the pic’ below shows a large spider, the rings will there for go over the pedals and the spider.

crank-forged.jpg

Where as it will be harder with a smaller spider like that shown below, the two outer rings would come off easily as they would go over both the spider and pedal, the inner ring is on a different part of the spider so you would need to remove the chainset to get that off.

LX_Chainset_small.jpg

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Cedric

Paul

Thanks a lot for that mate.

The rings on my bike are fastened together with bolts that are flat on oneside and half pea shaped with a wee hole on the other (technical, moi?) They dont look like they are intended to be removed. Oh well!

Thanks again.

Big John

Guru
If we're talking about a commute bike and the front mech is on the way out then do what I did. No need to remove any chainrings. Just remove the front mech as you won't be using it, along with the cable obviously. I left the changer on the bike. Then simply put the chain on the middle ring, by hand, and that's where it'll stay.

Top Bottom