Converted Maglite for Rear Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

This seems like an extremely expensive exercise to me

"Costs were: Maglite £12.99, new LED £21.95, brackets £5.39, switch (not really necessary) £8.39, metal plates to attach brackets to rack approx £1.20 (from Wilkos)."

Using all my fingers and toes to add up it seems to come out at around the 50 quid mark

Was it worth it when you can get better torches with a switch end cap and filter for less money?

Maglites are not the last word in torches, I have never found the mini mag to be that reliable to be honest

There are a lot of better torches for the money these days, sunn, princtec, gerber, surefire, maplins do a good LED torch for 25 quid as well

Here is just one example http://www.heinnie.com/Flashlights/Gerber/Gerber-Infinity-Ultra-Flashlight/p-97-254-744/

And you can make a mount from two handle bar reflector brackets and a roll of black tape in about three seconds

Sorry to be negative but it seems to be a lot of expense and hassle for very little reward

It's not as good as my lighting system.:evil:

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Couple of things I'd say is.... Compare it to the cost of something like a Dinotte rear light (circa £80) which is more or less the same sort of idea. Secondly, filtering a white LED or light to red isn't as effective as using a red LED. There's variations in the quality of LEDs - the Niteize red LED for a Maglite is about a third of the price of the Terralux I bought, but the Terralux wins hands down on brightness.

It wasn't something I did with the intention of making a cheapo rear light. I wanted something that was pretty bright to go alongside the Cateye but that was cheaper than a Dinotte, and I think it does that job. Not really much hassle, and probably a little unfair to say "very little reward"!! (but then I am biased :evil:)

Zoiders said:
This seems like an extremely expensive exercise to me

"Costs were: Maglite £12.99, new LED £21.95, brackets £5.39, switch (not really necessary) £8.39, metal plates to attach brackets to rack approx £1.20 (from Wilkos)."

Using all my fingers and toes to add up it seems to come out at around the 50 quid mark

Was it worth it when you can get better torches with a switch end cap and filter for less money?

Maglites are not the last word in torches, I have never found the mini mag to be that reliable to be honest

There are a lot of better torches for the money these days, sunn, princtec, gerber, surefire, maplins do a good LED torch for 25 quid as well

Here is just one example http://www.heinnie.com/Flashlights/Gerber/Gerber-Infinity-Ultra-Flashlight/p-97-254-744/

And you can make a mount from two handle bar reflector brackets and a roll of black tape in about three seconds

Sorry to be negative but it seems to be a lot of expense and hassle for very little reward

Top Bottom