Converting compact double to 1x11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not a lot of difference in the width so both will be cross compatible, the 1x version will however be shorted in links as it doesn’t need to wrap around both the mech and front cogs, there is just one cog.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Not a lot of difference in the width so both will be cross compatible, the 1x version will however be shorted in links as it doesn’t need to wrap around both the mech and front cogs, there is just one cog.

Thanks, so one is just shorter (but costs more :rolleyes: ). I’m sure the LBS is capable of shortening!

Yes, should do. 11 speed is 11 speed.

What type of crankset are you going for?
A narrow wide one will help keep the chain engaged, whereas a double chainset could cause the chain to come off due to the profiling for the small cog shift and may need a chain guide to keep it on.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, should do. 11 speed is 11 speed.

What type of crankset are you going for?
A narrow wide one will help keep the chain engaged, whereas a double chainset could cause the chain to come off due to the profiling for the small cog shift and may need a chain guide to keep it on.

SRAM Apex 1x11 42T.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-apex-1-gxp-chainset
So it’s a standard chain for a 1x crankset not the other way round
I have this chain actually which SRAM says is for 1x
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cn-1110-a1

I have two, so will use one to refresh the 2x SRAM groupset that is going from the Sabbath to the Condor (chain is worn I believe)

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'll be interested to find out as well actually, because I'm not aware there is a difference, but I may be wrong on that.

I've actually been running a PC1130 chain on my SRAM Rival 1x set up for the last few years. I've not experienced any running issues at all with it and the whole setup runs really nicely.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

well it actually comes with more links to cope with the super large dinner plate sprockets you get on some 1x setups,

but yes there is nowt special about a chain on a 1x, but narrow wide chainrings are thing to negate the need for a chain guide in lieu of having no FD. 11spd is 11spd

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
@vickster , what you've proposed with a 42 chainring and 11-42 cassette will be fine. Your lowest gear will be the same as a (50)/34 chainring and a 11-34 cassette, your highest will be about the same as your second (or third) highest at present. You might "spin out" at earlier at maximum speed, or your cadence range will grow to compensate.

11 speed chain will be fine for either, just make sure it is cut to the correct length for your new drivetrain. Lots of guides on YouTube if needed.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster , what you've proposed with a 42 chainring and 11-42 cassette will be fine. Your lowest gear will be the same as a (50)/34 chainring and a 11-34 cassette, your highest will be about the same as your second (or third) highest at present. You might "spin out" at earlier at maximum speed, or your cadence range will grow to compensate.

11 speed chain will be fine for either, just make sure it is cut to the correct length for your new drivetrain. Lots of guides on YouTube if needed.

Thanks, I wont be doing the fitting so all good.
Annoyingly I can’t use my Amex points at Wiggle anymore so will have to pay for the kit!

Finally a straight answer - a comparison plus the effect of the change. :notworthy:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
See post #6. An unclaimed TMN to me. (and the chain length is the same (see ^ ^))

The OP disagrees, post #16 was clear to her, #6 not, for example what does 6% mean in real life and the last bit especially made little sense to her! Also mentions 100rpm (errr not with her knees in any gear) and speeds in kph which she doesn’t relate to.

Anyhow she’s ordered the 42T crankset and 11-42 cassette and booked the bikes in at the LBS for their transformations :smile:

Top Bottom