Converting MTB to Tourer Dummy's Guide Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sam1105

I want to fit a rigid fork on my BH Spyro (http://www.bikezona.com/bicicletas/todobici-ficha.asp?id=6977) so I can do some touring without buying a new bike.

Firstly, is this a good/passable idea? It's a light MTB (alloy) and with road tyres think it will go okay.

Second, I don't know where to start in getting FORKS. Are there a range of sizes/fittings etc. that I need to know about. The frame is 47cm. The wheels are 26inch (sorry to mix metric and imperial!) But does the type of fitting onto the frame make a difference?

Then, is steel the best way to go, given the rest of the bike is alloy. Or should I, if I can, fork out (excuse the pun) for carbon?

Sorry for the many questions that are probably already kind of answered elsewhere. Any info and advice appreciated.

blockend

Fitting a new fork is a bit of a faff for occasional touring. If you intend going for narrower road tyres (than your knobblies) some would say front suspension is a good idea.
If you need front panniers - and you may not, even for an extended tour - there are systems available for suspension forks. Unless you want to go on an expedition, in which case you'll be looking at a dedicated bike, I'd leave well alone.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Unless I am mistaken your fork allows lock out manually, if so all changing to a rigid fork does is saving you around 1.5kgs for a steel one and 2kgs for a carbon one. You will have to decide whether if it is worth the trouble and expense.

I would get some Continental Sport Contact 26x1.6 (or 26x1.3 if you are careful with kerbs/potholes) and pumping them up to 80psi.

For touring you would want to think about racks and mudguards etc. and how to mount them.

battered

Guru
Good plan. My old MTB has morphed into this at minimal cost. I'm about to remove the susp forks I fitted 10 yrs aho and refit the rigids it cane with in 95. The thing recently did 300 miles in a week without a hitch.

Reverse evolution, I love it.

Top Bottom