Converting Road bike to Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatCyclist

Hi all,

I currently have my Triban 5 for sale as I want to get a hybrid instead. (long story: been injured for ages, tried a friends hybrid now that I'm getting back into it and find it much more comfortable to ride). Considering how good the Triban is for value, and the fact I'd likely not get as good a bike for the money if I were to sell it, I wondered if it would be an option to convert it to a hybrid instead?

Is it such a huge job? I'm thinking that I could change the drops to flats and change the tyres to some wider ones. I think I have 23s on this one (its a bit hard to read on the current tyre), but was wondering how much wider I could use on the current road wheels.

Also, if changing to a flat bar, I'm assuming I will have to install new gear and brake levers. Does that start to become too expensive to make it worth doing?

Thanks,

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Look at the Boardman race hybrid from Halfords. Reduced to £430 at the moment. You can get it for under £390 with British cycling discount. I bought one this week and it is great.

image.jpg

OP
OP
fatCyclist

fatCyclist

That's a nice looking bike, but beyond my budget I'm afraid. But then again, converting the Triban will probably work out as expensive. But at least I won't have to try and sell it. I'd rather avoid having to list it on ebay and faff around with all there fees and bad ebayers.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
You'd only need to change the bars and levers, could be done using second hand parts, but new ones would cost less than £30 all in - you may have to change the inner brake cables.

Edit: forgot about gear levers, again you can pick a set up for less than £40 so you'd probably get it all done for less than £100 and don't forget you can sell the original parts.

OP
OP
fatCyclist

fatCyclist

You'd only need to change the bars and levers, could be done using second hand parts, but new ones would cost less than £30 all in - you may have to change the inner brake cables.

Edit: forgot about gear levers, again you can pick a set up for less than £40 so you'd probably get it all done for less than £100 and don't forget you can sell the original parts.

That's not too expensive at all then. I'd be tempted to keep the road parts so that later down the line as my fitness and comfort on the bike increases, I could move to the road 'version' if needed. So you don't think changing the tyre widths would make much of a difference? I'm afraid I didn't make a note of what was on my friend's hybrid but I'm sure they were wider than the road bike, but I don't how much of difference that would give in terms of comfort to ride.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Converting to a hybrid means more weight on the saddle due to the more upright position, so you would need a new saddle as well.

OP
OP
fatCyclist

fatCyclist

Converting to a hybrid means more weight on the saddle due to the more upright position, so you would need a new saddle as well.

Luckily, that was one of the first thing I changed. My buttocks aren't the appropriate size for the razor-blade that came with the bike originally ;) I bought a sella replacement saddle that's much more comfy.

OP
OP
fatCyclist

fatCyclist

Unfortunately that's too big for me. My Triban 5 is the 57 which to be honest, that's probably too big for me too. I really should have gone for the 54 as I'm a bit too stretched.

But, I wonder if a different stem might be option? Basically, I want to be more upright and not as stretched out. As the 57 frame is too large, would it be possible to bring up the handlebars and bring them closer in with a shorter stem? Or would that drastically change the sturdiness of the bike?

Top Bottom