Converting to a triple: What length Axle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a TA Tevano triple chainset which I want to fit to one of my old steel bikes. (Tevano is a copy of the old Campag Super record)

Bike has an Italian threaded bottom bracket and the chainset is early 1980s, I think I need a 123mm axle.

Can any one confirm/tell me I'm an idiot/reassure me that 123 or 124 is not the end of the world.

Thanks

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Do you have a current BB fitted to your steel bike to get some measurements of current axel length? To be honest if you are a few MM out it's not the end of the world just means chain line will not be as centered as it could be on the middle ring. It'll still pedal just fine unless you have a sensitivity to how far apart the pedals are.

C R

Guru
Do you have a current BB fitted to your steel bike to get some measurements of current axel length? To be honest if you are a few MM out it's not the end of the world just means chain line will not be as centered as it could be on the middle ring. It'll still pedal just fine unless you have a sensitivity to how far apart the pedals are.
Current spindle length is not necessarily a good indication, unless they already have an identical chainset in. The chainset determines which spindle length to use, you need to consider chainstay clearance as well as chainline. Usually the chainset spec would include spindle length information.

mjaanl

Regular
Hi. Just come across your post and think I can help.

I have a Tevano triple fitted to my 1973 Harry Quinn which I have used at the Eroica Britannia and Velo Retro. The correct BB axle is a TA 374. These come up from time to time and can range in price from £15 to £60 depending on condition etc. There is one on ebay now for £15 + P&P (item no 264679216876 ) but it looks as if there is some wear to one of the races.

Top Bottom