Converting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

If it has suspension, then I wouldn't bother unless it has some expensive piece of top-end cycle components. The weight is one thing, the other is that suspension can (depending on pedalling technique) take a lot of the power you're trying to put into making the bike move.

If you can pick up cheap forks, it might be worth it but I put my searching efforts into getting a cheap-ish stiff bike for the roads and leaving the MTB for the days when I want to get dirty.

Weight makes a difference but so does rolling resistance perhaps more so, just by putting slick tyres on your mtb FMD, and locking out the suspension if it has it, you'll make your bike more road worthy. Unless you desire to though I don't think I'd spend too much money on making it lighter and if feasible use the excuse for n+1.

DaveyB1981

Weight makes a difference but so does rolling resistance perhaps more so, just by putting slick tyres on your mtb FMD, and locking out the suspension if it has it, you'll make your bike more road worthy. Unless you desire to though I don't think I'd spend too much money on making it lighter and if feasible use the excuse for n+1.

Yep, this is just what I did. I was doing more and more road riding on the FSR, ended up putting slicks on it etc. Once I had established in my head that road riding was for me, I bought the DEFY 3.5 and i love it :smile:

Dave

Top Bottom