Conveyancing fees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm looking to hopefully move by the end of the year. As it's been 16 years since I last embarked on this lunacy, I can't recall how much the solicitor fees cost me (sell and buy). I'm trying to figure out how much I'll need to move beyond the mortgage increase.
Anyone done this recently in the SE and can recall approx how much legal fees cost (feel free to PM if preferred...especially if you have a recommendation for a good conveyancing solicitor).

Cheers :smile:

Probably not a lot of help, but a mate of mine buys a few houses, and does it all himself. He reckons it's a doddle. Not so sure I'd risk it, but thought I'd offer it as a thought.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably not a lot of help, but a mate of mine buys a few houses, and does it all himself. He reckons it's a doddle. Not so sure I'd risk it, but thought I'd offer it as a thought.
Thanks. But no thanks! No time tbh, don't even really have time to move! Just happen to have found a house that would suit me very well

damj

Buy and sell £160000 cost us £4600, that's solicitors fees, searches, estate agents - this was last year. 15 years since our last move bit of a shock, but all worked out eventually

winjim

Smash the cistern
We've just moved, in Sheffield though, not SE. Fees were £1200ish inc VAT, plus stamp duty and land reg fee. Bear in mind stamp duty's on a sliding scale these days.

ETA: That's solicitors fees, not including estate agents etc. I have the quote literally in front of me right now if you want a breakdown.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It depends where the solicitor is based and who they work for. I know solicitors who will charge a few hundred pounds, to some who will charge thousands for the same job. If you are subject to a mortgage you need to check the solicitor is acceptable to the lender. Some of the high street lenders are not keen on sole practioners, who tend to be the cheapest.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy and sell £160000 cost us £4600, that's solicitors fees, searches, estate agents - this was last year. 15 years since our last move bit of a shock, but all worked out eventually
Thanks. Other than stamp duty and the agent on a percentage, I'm not sure if there's a relationship between house value and fees?

The figure you quote is a similar ballpark to the difference in value between the house I'll be selling and the one buying :blush: that's Surrey for you!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
We've just moved, in Sheffield though, not SE. Fees were £1200ish inc VAT, plus stamp duty and land reg fee. Bear in mind stamp duty's on a sliding scale these days.

ETA: That's solicitors fees, not including estate agents etc. I have the quote literally in front of me right now if you want a breakdown.
Yes, I'm looking at 19k in stamp duty! :ohmy:

If you want to PM me the numbers that would be appreciated :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It depends where the solicitor is based and who they work for. I know solicitors who will charge a few hundred pounds, to some who will charge thousands for the same job. If you are subject to a mortgage you need to check the solicitor is acceptable to the lender. Some of the high street lenders are not keen on sole practioners, who tend to be the cheapest.
Yes, I used my parents' solicitors last time, big City firm. I'll go more local. Might ask my accountant if she can advise, she's already suggested a financial advisor (one of her other clients)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We used House simple last year, £1200.00. all in. That's solicitors and selling fees. You do have to do a bit of the work yourself, but it better than giving the estate agent 4 grand,

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm with HSBC at the mo, and may well stay with them as they have a very good 5 year fixed on offer at the mo...mortgage rates are increasing according to everyone I've spoken to

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
We used House simple last year, £1200.00. all in. That's solicitors and selling fees. You do have to do a bit of the work yourself, but it better than giving the estate agent 4 grand,
As above I really haven't got time to do any legwork, not least I'm going on holiday and working full time. Hoping to move between Xmas and new year if I can sell my place quickly. Only because my current employer is closed, self employed, no paid holidays

Top Bottom