Coping with visits from the P fairy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I commute a short distance, some would say a short stroll. However when occasionally the P fairy visits me on the way to work it's pain. My idea is to bodge it up enough to get to work and fix it during my lunch break. Lidl/Aldi did some neat little canisters with goo and gas to seal and pump the tyre back up again. Did anyone use them, if so where they any good? Does someone else make them? Some Marathon plus are on my Christmas list but £50 for a pair is a bit over the Beatlejuice family budget at the moment.

markharry66

Über Member
carry spare tubes, the fix damaged one when you get home job done

Davidc

Guru
Inspect your tyres before leaving home. Remove any small pieces of glass, grit etc that are in the tread.

That should stop most punctures. If you still get them invest in some new puncture resistant tyres.

(note to ianrauk - I got there first this time!)

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Well I've had four p*nct*r*s this year,how many have you folks had?

All rear as far as I can remember,must change tyre soon.
I carry two mini pumps also.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Make the commute at least 10 miles, a puncture is like 5 minutes, no big deal. Traffic jam causes my colleagues more than that every day !

She's just a capricious and twisted old bitch with no sense of humour, who gets her jollies out of frightening people.

Really, she is a bit of a sad loser, she lacks social skills and all she has is her aura of power over... what?

She has the 'power' to make holes appear in extremely thin rubber membranes. Ooooh... I'm really scared.

If she was any sort of a puncture fairy, she'd be the one who was rupturing the condoms of the Catholic clergy while they were offering pastoral support to the young widows of their parish.

But no.... bicycle wheels are her turn-on. Her inflated sense of her own importance has led to this dread of even spelling out her name.

She is as pathetic and impotent as she is vindictive and small-minded.

Puncture Fairy? Schmuncture Fairy!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I don't know if anyone else sells them but the giant store local to me sell self sealing patches in a tiny box for about £3 OK you still need to find the problem but they are so fast to apply and take up very little space . You wouldn't notice a set in your wallet they are so compact .

Kookas

Über Member
I don't know if anyone else sells them but the giant store local to me sell self sealing patches in a tiny box for about £3 OK you still need to find the problem but they are so fast to apply and take up very little space . You wouldn't notice a set in your wallet they are so compact .

You mean a puncture repair kit? They sell them in an LBS near me for £1.50 IIRC.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Keep an eye out for Lidl selling their Chinese copy of the Marathon Plus at just £9.99 each, including an inner tube.
I've had them on for a few months now and they're super.

GC

I had my first one on the Ribble 'winter' bike yesterday, whilst riding to work (got it in June)

It must have been a thorn, or small tack, as there was no apparent hole in the tyre, as normally happens with glass.

One thing that I must remember for future is how damned awkward the standard tyres are to get off the standard wheels on that bike, plus the rim tape's only insulating tape (what it looks like) & tears easily from the tyre-levers!!!!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Make the commute at least 10 miles, a puncture is like 5 minutes, no big deal. Traffic jam causes my colleagues more than that every day !
5 minutes! you must have had plenty of practice!:angel: Mine take 15 to 20 minutes :blush: Admittedly, I am lucky enough not to have many punctures, so not much practice, only 1 since January 1st and 1500 miles.

Top Bottom