Coping with visits from the P fairy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
In winter, I carry Pit Stop (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-pit-stop-tyre-sealant/) with me (as well as a spare tube - In the summer, I just carry a tube).

Last year, in the middle of January, I got a puncture on the way home from work in the middle of nowhere. It was dark, very cold, raining, and I was feeling ill. I used the Pit Stop, and was going again within a couple of minutes. In fact, I still haven't got around to changing the tube 4,000 miles later.

I haven't used it since, as I'd rather change the tube by the roadside (especially in the summer), but the fact it worked the one time I really wanted it to has encouraged me to carry it with me.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Her inflated sense of her own importance has led to this dread of even spelling out her name.

She is as pathetic and impotent as she is vindictive and small-minded.

Puncture Fairy? Schmuncture Fairy!

Or as I liked to call her (before I found Marathon Plus) The Pure C*nt Fairy.

GC

byegad

Legendary Member
How short a ride? It's possible to use a CO2 cartridge inflater to inflate a pin pricked tyre long enough to cover 4 or 5 miles. If it's worse than that then a tyre sealant inflater may get you to work, I carry both CO2 and a Seal n Flate can (As well as a pump, spare tube and a repair kit.) on all my rides.

Now my serious answer:

Marathon plus are (by all accounts) excellent, but I've never used them. I'm told they're a sod to fit and remove.

When I was commuting and my spouse (emergency driver) was elsewhere, I carried a spare tube, patches, rubber solution and a minipump (Blackburn Airstick in later years).

I am now converted to self-adhesive patches, but that was then...

The Airstick gets a lot of stick in some quarters, but is small, fits in a back pocket and gets easily up to 100psi.

On puncture, I'd change the tube and repair later at home. On second puncture (only happened once) I used the patches and settled down for a long wait while the solution went off.

The BIGGEST issue with punctures while commuting is remembering to replace what you've used after a puncture.

To carry my clobber (and Allen Keys and assorted spanners and tyre levers) I used an old supermarket soup carton (like a big, re-sealable yougurt pot) jamed into a bottle cage. Perfect size, perfect fit, perfectly sealed. Before they came along, I used to cut a window in an old bidon, but they never really did the trick and were hard to fill or find anything in.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Sure fixing a P at 6:00am in a dark unlit lane when its pissing it down is good for my cycling soul I don't care for it. I don't want to turn up for work looking like a cyclist who has just fixed a puncture. In fact I try my best NOT to look like a cyclist at all, when commuting! I have car type valves on my Dohan, so the tin of gas and goo is an option. I also want to cut down the clobber I tend to cart about.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I average 1 or 2 punctures a year at the most. I had one year (2011) with no punctures.

The key is good puncture resistant tyres, but also good management:
1) weekly removal of embedded stones/ glass
2) tyres well inflated - must be very hard to the touch. I keep mine 5% below max. Surprises me how many bikes at work have squidgy tyres.
3) ride further from the gutter.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I agree with Moodyman, that prevention is better than cure and his three tips are good. I too very rarely get punctures despite having to ride on broken glass regularly. But on the odd occasion when the do happen a quick squirt with some gas & goo and on to work is so much nicer than fiddling by the roadside with a bike light in your mouth when it will be dark and raining (no negative thinking here!!).

Had to buy some new tubes for the Ribble, as I only have a couple of spare that have very long valves, for those Roval rims

On a similar tangent, SWMBO rang me a bit earlier, she's had a puncture in the Octavia over at Golcar.

The annoying thing is, I was convincedit had a real spare wheel, but it's got one of those stupid compressors & foam.
Have to try & get a spare (steel) wheel& tyre from somewhere for it!

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
Now my serious answer:

Marathon plus are (by all accounts) excellent, but I've never used them. I'm told they're a sod to fit and remove.

When I was commuting and my spouse (emergency driver) was elsewhere, I carried a spare tube, patches, rubber solution and a minipump (Blackburn Airstick in later years).

I am now converted to self-adhesive patches, but that was then...

The Airstick gets a lot of stick in some quarters, but is small, fits in a back pocket and gets easily up to 100psi.

On puncture, I'd change the tube and repair later at home. On second puncture (only happened once) I used the patches and settled down for a long wait while the solution went off.

The BIGGEST issue with punctures while commuting is remembering to replace what you've used after a puncture.

To carry my clobber (and Allen Keys and assorted spanners and tyre levers) I used an old supermarket soup carton (like a big, re-sealable yougurt pot) jamed into a bottle cage. Perfect size, perfect fit, perfectly sealed. Before they came along, I used to cut a window in an old bidon, but they never really did the trick and were hard to fill or find anything in.
I use marathon plus and yes there excellent,i have no probs fitting them,id even say it was easy.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I've done over 8000 kilometres on my Marathon Plus tyres and so far .... not a single puncture! Not one - even though I have done three tours on them with a fully-loaded bike and inadvertently cycled a couple of times through broken glass on the floor. What's more the tread still looks brand new. They're quite simply the best investment I've ever made!

Top Bottom