copper slip gease?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
not sure if this should be here, but i am maintaining my bike with it. :blush:
i was going to use copper slip grease on my seat post and down the seat tube to stop it seizing,i've always used grease before. a clubmate said don't use copper slip as it will corrode the alloy post.
is this true?

ghitchen

Very simplified: If you have two dissimliar metals (e.g aluminium and titanium) and an electrolyte (e.g. salty water) you will get galvanic corrosion. Copaslip will help prevent this.

Google: "galvanic corrosion" for more info.

OP
OP
P
thanks, i intended to use it on all the theads and seastpost, just chceked to see if the clubmate was wrong which it seems he is.

Monty Dog

Some carbon seatpost manufacturers do not recommend any form of petroleum products coming into contact with their products e.g. Easton. Some hydrocarbons react with the epoxy matrix causing them to swell - in some cases seizing the post, cracking the post or splitting the seat tube. Better off using an non-petroleum anti-seize like the Shimano or Tacx ones

OP
OP
P
i'll pass that on to clubmates who have carbon everything. i'm still in the 70's, or so i'm told as all my stuff is alloy on a steel frame, spoiled only by the carbon top plate on a campag rear mech! :?:

Keith Oates said:
I thought that Copper slip was a grease to be used when in an area of high temperatures, such as exhaust tystems etc.!!!!!!!!

You're right about the temperature aspect, Keith, but it's an anti-seize, not really a grease. It's great for use in my environment (Marine).

simon

Copaslip is just heavy duty automative grease with a small amount of fine copper dust added (<5%) - the copper is intended to lubricate if and when the grease evaporates due to excessive heat - hence its use on car exhausts and braking systems - I do use it on my bikes and find that it keeps working a lot longer than normal white grease - one reason perhaps being that its a very heavy industrial grease rather than the light poncey stuff they sell in bike shops?

simon said:
Copaslip is just heavy duty automative grease with a small amount of fine copper dust added (<5%) - the copper is intended to lubricate if and when the grease evaporates due to excessive heat - hence its use on car exhausts and braking systems - I do use it on my bikes and find that it keeps working a lot longer than normal white grease - one reason perhaps being that its a very heavy industrial grease rather than the light poncey stuff they sell in bike shops?

It's an anti-seize, simon. Do you use it on bearings?

Molyslip anti-seize products are designed to provide an insulating layer between metals so that dismantling and routine maintenance are free from breakage of fused parts. This problem is especially onerous on threads and shackles. A single application of Copaslip (often misspelled as copperslip or coppaslip) or Alumslip will stop metal fusion for many years

simon said:
gordon

Thread is about using it as an anti-seize - its not intended for lubricating bearings due to its thickness etc

Hi, simon.

piedwagtail said he is maintaining his bike with it and you wrote that you used it on your bikes.

I know it is used as an anti-seize; I've been using it for over 30 years (Marine Engineer). I was just interested to see what "maintaining a bike" and "I do use it on my bikes and find that it keeps working a lot longer than normal white grease" actually meant.

We don't want people who are starting out maintaining their bike themselves to get off to a bad start :eek:

Top Bottom