Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny

About to set off on a wee tour of Cornwall this weekend. It is my first time touring and slightly concerned about the weight of it all and those little hills...

Can anyone recommend any campsites, especially on the Lizard?

Any recommendations on distance each day as I don't want it to be a strength/stamina fest.

Bigtallfatbloke

Danny

Legendary Member
A few years ago I set off for a tour down the west coast of Cornwall, and found it surprisingly hard going because we seemed to be riding into one steep valley after another.

So unless you are super-fit I would not plan on doing big mileages each day, particularly if you are carrying camping gear. 40 miles would be a good target.

There are camp sites everywhere in Cornwall so you should have no problems finding somewhere to stay. At the time of year you shouldn't have to book in advance, so I would just see how far you can get each day and then look for somewhere to stop when you have had enough.

There are two Sustrans routes (3 & 32) which go through Cornwall, though not down to the Lizard. Haven't cycled them myself, but looking at the map they appear to bypass the really hilly bits of Cornwall.

Norv

Danny's right about the hills in Cornwall. I did the North Cornwall Tor sportive in April and much of the riding consists of; Down 1 in 7, over little humpback bridge and back up a 1 in 7.

ChrisKH

Guru
If you're anywhere near Mevagissey (south of St Austell) try the campsite at Pentewan Sands. Unpretentious site right on the beach. Many happy weeks spent there as a child. Mind you this was 1970..............

......a search of t'internet tells me it's still there.

Top Bottom