Corona coma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/burton-news/teenager-coma-before-covid-pandemic-4915032

Teenager in coma since before covid pandemic finally wakes up after horror car crash
He is responding to loved ones after 11 months, who are wondering how they are going to explain the past year to him
His family are thrilled he has woken up at last and at the progress he has made. But they are wondering how they can explain the pandemic, lockdowns and social distancing to him. His accident happened three weeks before the first national lockdown, which came into force in the UK on March 23, last year.

The 19-year-old has spent all that time in a coma at the Leicester General Hospital, where only his mum, Sharon Priestley, could visit due to covid restrictions. Joe has even caught covid twice, once while he was still in a coma and once since waking, but has come through it.

Now the teenager is progressing well after opening his eyes and in the last few weeks he has started moving limbs when he is told to do so. He is engaging with family and friends through blinking and smiling.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's wonderful.

Brains

Legendary Member
My 54 year old BIL had a stroke the weekend before lockdown.
He then spent the next 105 days (until July) in hospital with zero awareness of anyone or anything around him.
He was then moved to a care home, where for a few months he got better (relatively) , but in effect ended up with dementia.
He had no memory of his months in hospital or his life much after about 2017.
We tried to explain the pandemic and it's repercussions to him, but it was too much to take in, and he would simply revert to 'when can I go home' (which very obviously was 'never')
Unfortunately since Christmas he took a turn for the worse and died last Friday.

I think for anyone who has been out of day to day circulation since March will actually find it impossible to understand the situation in the real world

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
My 54 year old BIL had a stroke the weekend before lockdown.
He then spent the next 105 days (until July) in hospital with zero awareness of anyone or anything around him.
He was then moved to a care home, where for a few months he got better (relatively) , but in effect ended up with dementia.
He had no memory of his months in hospital or his life much after about 2017.
We tried to explain the pandemic and it's repercussions to heim, but it was too much to take in, and he would simply revert to 'when can I go home' (which very obviously was 'never')
Unfortunately since Christmas he took a turn for the worse and died last Friday.

I think for anyone who has been out of day to day circulation since March will actually find it impossible to understand the situation in the real world
54 years old, that is so sad... and frightening 😢.

Top Bottom