Correct brake fluid for Tektro hydraulic brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I hope this is in the right section?

Having looked online there seems to be varying advice, about what mineral oil can be used with Tektro brakes?
Tektro obviously say you must only use their own brand, which is not as easily available as others, at least not on Amazon UK.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy to use Tektro oil, but would like to get it all off Amazon if possible to get free 'Prime' shipping!
Other advice says you can use any brake specific mineral oil, i.e. Shimano, Chumxiny or Epic etc .
I may bleed my own brakes at some point, but for now I will only use it for topping up after 'burping' the brakes, and for a little lubrication on the pistons (one of which is reluctant to pop out).

So,
1. Can I use any brake specific mineral oil?
2. If so, can I mix different manufacturers mineral oil (as in just topping up the (presumably in from new) Tektro oil after 'burping'), or will that be the end of civilisation as we know it?

Thanks

si_c

Guru
I've mixed BBB mineral oil, Shimano mineral oil and the stuff that came with my bleed kits from Total Bleed Solutions - not had any issues whatsoever.

My understanding is that Tektro use the same formulation of mineral oil as Shimano so even though it's sometimes different colours you should be fine. I've generally found the most reliably sourced yet cost effective option is to get the bigger 1L+ bottles of shimano oil. It doesn't go off so you'll have plenty lying around for top-ups or in case you want to do a full bleed.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Can't remember when I last bled brakes; probably on a car in the 90s, so might still have some Castrol DOT4 at the back of a cupboard somewhere!

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Well, according to the Epic Bleed website chat, it's ok to mix brands as long as you don't mix DOT with mineral oil, as our merciless friend said.

Epic Bleed Solutions​

• Today
  • Hi, I have Tektro hydraulic brakes on my bike. I want to get some mineral oil to top up (after 'burping') and also to put a little lube on the pistopns to discourage sticking etc.
    10:11
  • Thanks for your message! We’ll be with you as soon as we can. If you're not around, we'll follow up via the contact info you provided.
    Automated • 10:11
  • Product image

Mineral Oil Brake Fluid for Shimano Brakes
    £4.99 GBP - £19.99 GBP
    Select Select
  • Hey Thanks for getting in touch. You can find our Tektro mineral oil here.
    10:12
  • Also, can I mix different mineral oils (i.e. Epic and Tektro brands) together (as in when I top up after 'burping'?
    10:13
  • Yes, all of the mineral oils are compatible with one another.
    10:13
  • Thanks, so if I already have Tektro own brand oil in my brakes, I can top up with your oil and it's OK for them to mix?
    10:19
  • Yes, that's right. You're fine to mix them. The problems arise when you try and mix mineral oil and DOT fluids.
    10:20
  • OK, thanks.
    10:20
  • Any time. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 🙂
    10:21

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Of course I suppose they’re bound to say that, so what do the rest of us think?

D

Deleted member 121159

Doesn't matter what mineral oil you use. I bled my tektro brakes with a mix of random mineral oils. You can add a drop of baby oil as well.

I buy different colours for a full bleed so I can see when the new stuff is through, it's way easier than judging the shade of red changing.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Still not tested since cleaning them up, as I’ve been laid up (again) with another virus.
I hate this time of year.

Top Bottom