Correct inner tube size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My new road bike has 700C x 28mm tyres. Schawalbe inner tubes come in widths:

SV15: 700C x 18-28mm
SV16: 700C x 28-32mm
SV17 700C x 28-45mm

I'm guessing SV16 is the correct inner tube to buy?

SV15 as well wouldn't use SV17

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I always go for the biggest size that will fit, on the theory that if the tube doesn't have to stretch as much it will be thicker and may just make the difference between something puncturing the tube or not. If you are worried about weight then get the smallest you can and stretch away...….

I've stuffed a 29" tube into a 26" in wheel with no ill effects. The only problem is the extra labour of getting it all in there without pinching bits.

On the other hand, a smaller tube makes for easier and safer mounting and there is no drawback with going undersize at all. The smaller, the better, I don't know why they even have different sized ones between 18 and 40mm.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My most recent bike had 28mm Kenda tyres fitted as original equipment. I was a little surprised to find 23-25mm Kenda inner tubes factory fitted to them. I've since changed the tyres and tubes (saving well over 1/2 kilo on the Kenda heavyweights). But I don't think the 3mm between 25 and 28mm tubes makes any difference. It's common to find more than that in the actual size of the 28mm tyre anyway. I still carry 18-23 tubes as spares.

Top Bottom