Correct position on bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepecat

...well yes, I know you have to sit on the saddle and face forward.....:tongue:

But.... my observations of the pros on tv has shown that they seem to sit quite far forward on their saddles - ie there is saddle sticking out behind their bums. I tend so sit quite far back on my saddle, but am definitely on my pelvic bones. I experimented with sitting further forward today, and didn't like it for two reasons. Firstly, it felt like i was falling off the front of the saddle, and secondly, it wasn't all that comfortable around my nether regions.
Though i can kinda see how it gives a bit more power to the legs.....

Is there a 'correct' seating position? Or is it a case of what's comfortable for you?

I also discovered that having one's arms bent slightly helps a lot in the leg department. Why does no one tell you that it's 'better' if you don't cycle with your arms pretty much straight (as I was, and that was comfortable and fine), but have them bent so that your forearms are more parallel to the ground...... and for some reason, this gives more power to the legs.....

Strange.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The arms bent also stops any shocks from bumps or holes in the road causing pain or damage to your wrists and elbows. Its taken me over a year to get my road bike just right , now it feels good even after all day riding.

I think when trying to copy the proffesionals you have to remember that not many of us have the same build and virtually none of us the same power .Go for what is comfortable.

'Correct position on bike. Is there one ?' No there are hundreds; to simply put it, it depends on what you are doing and if you are comfortable ;)

Being on the rivet may mean more power but it might not be comfortable for all; so whilst its the correct position for power, its the wrong one for comfort. I think mine subconciously varies on a ride, I can be on the rivet but most times I'm just sitting in the middle if that make sense but sometimes when I'm cycling up a long steep hill I like to sit back and upright and can achieve more power that way.

Having your arms bent gives you more power because you are more comfortable (absorb the bumps better)/ feel better and your surface area is slightly smaller so there's less drag. Not really all that strange :smile:

Grammar edit :blush:

subaqua

What’s the point
what is comfortable for you and doesn't make you hurt during/after a ride ( barrring the aching legs from pushing yourself too hard).

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
The 'correct' position depends what you're using the bike for, a track or short-track criterium cyclist (comfort not the issue, power and manoverability is) will want a different position to the long-distance stage-racer or the Audax/tourist.

This is useful:

http://www.peterwhit...com/fitting.htm

Great link FF
thumbsup.png

overgeared

any position will be a tradeoff between 3 considerations: comfort, aerodynamics, and power generation. go to a bike fitting service and most will overemphasise comfort. go to a windtunnel and they will overemphasise aerodynamics. you choice will significantly depend on how long you need to hold whatever position...and how much pain you can take!

yello

Is there a 'correct' seating position? Or is it a case of what's comfortable for you?

A correct position can be comfortable or uncomfortable depending on what your purpose is. Track riders for instance care little for comfort; it's all about power and aerodynamics. So there position is right for then... but then they don't spend hours in that position!

I happen to think also that there is more than one position that can be comfortable. I think it can be a matter of getting used to changes in position (without doing yourself damage!).

I've recently changed to a longer, higher stem and moved my saddle slightly forward. In effect, sliding me more towards the front of the bike. It's just as comfortable as the previous position but just gets me a bit further forward which is something I wanted to try.

So, no, ime there's no correct position to cover all purposes and more than one comfortable position. Experiment and see what you find.

darkstar

People can get very geeky about it, but I've always just ridden what's comfortable for me, almost constantly tweaking it though!

Top Bottom