Cost of rechroming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Hundreds, I know, but what would be the ball park for bar, stem, a couple of rims, cranks and a couple of hub barrels? Anyone had a Chopper done recently (it's not a Chopper!)?

Peugeotrider

I had a quote last week for a pair of forks...144 quid

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends how much prep youve done yourself, and how much of a hurry you're in. If youve got the compinents as smooth as the blade on a dinner knife, and you don't mind waiting until a bigger batch is going through it can be reasonable. Got a motorbike collector box done for 40 sheets 5 or 6 years back using the above principles.

carpenter

Über Member
I had a pair of forks chromed for about £110 a couple of years ago - there is a lot of preparation (if job is done well) and use/disposal of nasty chemicals, so it is an expensive option :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look after your chrome. Forks and 3/4 rear triangle done on my best bike 30 years ago - still looks mint. Done as it was a race bike, going in and out of a car.

grldtnr

I'm going to just clean my forks as best I can,refit them and claim ...they have a patina look 🤣
How about going old school, I had some nickel plating done on a new build, it isn't as hard wearing, but it's got a different finish to it , not as harsh shine , but a subtle bling ring to it, it was a special build for me ,had it made to measure by the late Tom Board, a master frame builder, who did lots of work for the London bike shops, notably Condor cycles, I just cut out the middle man , who knew a friend of a friend!

Peugeotrider

How about going old school, I had some nickel plating done on a new build, it isn't as hard wearing, but it's got a different finish to it , not as harsh shine , but a subtle bling ring to it, it was a special build for me ,had it made to measure by the late Tom Board, a master frame builder, who did lots of work for the London bike shops, notably Condor cycles, I just cut out the middle man , who knew a friend of a friend!
Nickel plating is something that can be done at home too 🤔

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Just a bit under £400.
That's not too bad. By cannibalising other bikes and buying better parts, I will avoid rechroming where possible. It looks as if the stem, a pair of rims, and possibly the bars will need doing. The stem is unique to a Moulton Speed, the rims are the early 36h (might replace with Sun alloy ones, as they are almost as shiny and have hooked beads for decent tyres) and the bars are not quite the same shape as other Moultons, although essentially they are just all-rounder bars flipped over!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Quote for one bar and stem: £240 :laugh:
Tried another place. £95!

Both are 3 layer chroming, stripping and polishing first.

Last edited:

SV980

Regular
Hi ,
I saw a show recently on the telly about a painter in the UK who has product that replicates chrome .
It was used on a couple of boot latch parts and they came out looking like mirrors !
He was able to do it in other colours . copper /gold etc.
Seemed very flexible also . Had a sample pair of running shoes on which colour flexed but did not break .
Anyone out there used it / heard of it ?
Thought it might a good alternate for old fashioned chroming .

Top Bottom