Cost of the Perseverance Mars trip.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I've scanned all the responses but can't see this other benefit of such undertakings: the attraction of people to science and engineering as a subject to study and pursue (and ultimately advance). This point was made a few years ago by the Bloodhound SSC team (the supersonic land speed record project). They showed a chart of university course uptake of STEM subjects vs various iconic moments and there are upticks associated with things like the Apollo missions and Concorde; in recent times there have been few such engaging activities to raise interest in public perception of STEM (the Bloodhound project only got going because of a requirement to include STEM engagement activities*, something that arguably they have succeeded in regardless of having a LSR-beating car).

*the UK government would only let them have the prototype EJ200 engines in exchange for the STEM engagement.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I say this on all similar threads everywhere. Our technological and scientific advancements from all space projects have lead to significant improvements in the way we live, our health and our understanding of the world and beyond...

Not going to list them as I normally would but the information is widely available...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
But was the space program really required for any of that? It's a bit like saying that [your favourite band] wouldn't exist without the Beatles or whatever. Someone would have done it eventually.
The benefit of that train of thought is that it is difficult to prove or disprove...

I would suggest that you're wrong based on the number of advancements made in the past 100 years verses the previous 500 years and so on...

Drago

Legendary Member
Its pretty well established that the 2 biggest stimuli to technological development are war and space exploration.

Hopefully you'll agree war is probably not a good thing, which leaves space exploration. A goodly number of techniques and materials would simply never have been devised without it - for (a random example) example, the ablative, heat proof materials have innumerable applications from transport through thermal insulation to flame retardent materials, but Ford or B&Q or Chubb would never, ever have had the wherewithall to develop them themselves. Not a hope. Without the space programme they simply would never exist. Period, as they say.

Its already been well established that the economic returns vastly outweigh the financial investment, so there is no financial argument for not doing so.

Fortunately, Winjim wasn't around when Columbus was planning to set sail to discover the New World, else we'd still be treating cancer with leaches, burning witches, and eating dung for lunch.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
What if discussion is as above not practical. What if one of the early assassination attempts on Hitler were successful and so on.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Its pretty well established that the 2 biggest stimuli to technological development are war and space exploration.

Hopefully you'll agree war is probably not a good thing, which leaves space exploration. A goodly number of techniques and materials would simply never have been devised without it - for (a random example) example, the ablative, heat proof materials have innumerable applications from transport through thermal insulation to flame retardent materials, but Ford or B&Q or Chubb would never, ever have had the wherewithall to develop them themselves. Not a hope. Without the space programme they simply would never exist. Period, as they say.

Its already been well established that the economic returns vastly outweigh the financial investment, so there is no financial argument for not doing so.

Fortunately, Winjim wasn't around when Columbus was planning to set sail to discover the New World, else we'd still be treating cancer with leaches, burning witches, and eating dung for lunch.
It's all intertwined really though isn't it. Technology and the space program. Space exploration and the products produced from it are an inevitable consequence of the enquiring minds that previously led to other innovations. Much like the Beatles, it was always going to happen, we just happen to be living in the period in which it has been possible.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Looking at the other thread running on this.
Let me say.......I am not knocking it, its an interesting thread so will not hijack it.......BUT
$2.7 BILLION is a staggering cost.
Britain was paying the EU that about every 8 weeks. It puts it into some sort of perspective.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You wait until you hear how much money was given to Serco for a Covid Track and trace system that has delivered precisely nothing (unless you are one of the consultants on £350k salaries)
My nephew and his dad have just landed temporary cushy jobs doing test swabs. They are getting silly money for what is an unskilled job. I think it is about £15/hour, £20-25 meal expenses, and if necessary - accommodation costs also paid! :blink:

Top Bottom