Costa Daurada?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone cycled on the region? I've booked a week in Cambrils and will hire a bike while there, just wondered if anyone has any recommended routes or places to go?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Not cycled, but holidayed several times.

It's a popular cycling area with the locals. They tend to stay away from the coastal roads and ride further inland i.e. roads that run parallel to the coast but on the other side of the holiday resorts. These tend to be much quieter than the coastal roads.

Spanish motorists are very considerate around cyclists.

MarkF

Guru
Arent those Spanish coastal roads supposed to be extremely dangerous?

I don't wear a helmet, I'm not a worrier and am a confident rider in heavy traffic but the that C31 coastal road all the way to Barcelona still gives the creeps, it's all about the low sidewall, nowhere to stop (get out of the way) and the interminable renegade cement truck drivers, never again. Different world away from the coast.:okay:

TomDW

Thread resurrection. I visited the Ebro Delta region of the Costa Daurada earlier this month and tackled the infamous Mont Caro climb. This is the full monty and not just the El Ports section featured in the Volta a Catalunya. I've stayed in Cambrils previously and would have to say that was a better base or Salou. The trains, though not frequent, allow you take bikes so you can make it a day trip down to Tortosa to do this climb and the beautiful Ebro valley. Here is the view from the top of Mont Caro. It was a really dry clear day. If you want to escape the Mallorca crowds then certainly this is the place to come. The roads south of Tarragona are not dangerous and as you leave the coast practically empty.

Mont Caro Small.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom