Cotic Roadrat and/or Alfine 11 Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Hi there

Has anyone got this combination above? I'm currently thinking about buying the above, and wondering if anyone has experience of either?

Primary use is for commuting and cycling on tow paths, nothing too strenuous.

Thanks

betty swollocks

large member
My LBS has one in. It looks just the ticket for general commuting and with fatter tyres on, towpath cycling too.
I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a bike for every occasion.
One of these bikes is a Roadrat done up as fixed, which I've been riding as my mainstay for the last eight years. I can thus testify to the strength and robustness of the frame.

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Yeah a friend of mine has an Escapade and raves about Cotic bikes.

I have fired off some mails about getting one without wheels sent to me so I can get some wheels handbuilt instead. Also, will probably get an 8 gear Alfine as that'll be enough for my needs (Commuting and pootling along on cycle paths)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My Alfine 11 broke after 18 months, although Madison fixed it free of charge.

I have the impression the eight speed is stronger and more reliable.

Bodhbh

Guru
I've got one of the older Roadrat frames. They've made a few tweaks since I got mine - lower BB, longer headtube, disc mounts moved to the chainstays, etc. - but yes, I really like it. You can fit it with pretty much any tyres you'd want to with the clearance (I'm running 700x42s atm with the wheel slid all the way in the dropout, still room for larger). It handles okay loaded up, tho it makes no claim to be a tourer. Plenty of stepover clearance if you want to take in some rough stuff. Does what it sez on the tin - great all-rounder.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays has an old one with Alfine 8. His back wheel was only 24 spokes and he seemed to keep breaking them despite being a lightweight. So if there is an option for 36 spokes I would take that. They might have changed the spec by now as he hasn't commuted to work by bike for 3years now.

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
I'm sticking with my current ride for the time being and getting hand built wheels made.

I will get a RR later in the year and I'll probably get wheels made up for that regardless because I need reliability for commuting.

Undecided as of yet if I should go for Alfine or Sora or even go custom.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
He liked the Alfine aspect just didn't think the wheels he had were up to it, he did contemplate changing wheels and to the Alfine 11 before he stopped using the bike to commute and for how many times it's been riden since it wasn't worth changing.

oldstrath

Über Member
The 8 speed Alfine is excellent, and i find the range plenty for lightweight touring in the Highlands and Borders. One thing I found with wheels though - they last much better built two cross, rather than three cross,because of the large hub.

Top Bottom