Couch to..... Guides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aces_up1504

I have decieded that my aim for my first 6 months cycling is to complete a Century.

At the moment my first couple of rides have been 4 mile and 8 mile, while not completely knackering me, it shows i have quite a low base line fitness.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any worthwhile couch to guides that will get me to century in 6 months or 50 m in the 3 months?

Kies

You don't need any coaching. Spend as much time cycling as you can. The fitness will improve. If your overweight,get this down again with cycling and watching what you eat.
6 months is not a long time to go from 0 - 100 miles,but certainly acheivable.
Set yourself a monthly target.
Month 1 .... To do a 20 mile ride,and increase it my 10 - 15 miles each month.
Come the end of your 5th month you should be able to do 60+ miles,and will have worked out your food and water intakes.
To do the century,will require more of the same.
Good luck and keep us posted ..... The longest i have managed in 2012 is 55 miles, so 2013 is my century year

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Cheers

While i am not I am a few pounds over weight at 13 1/3 stone at 5ft 11, It more my fitness which is pretty shocking.

So think it more of case of building up fitness

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You don't need any coaching. Spend as much time cycling as you can. The fitness will improve. If your overweight,get this down again with cycling and watching what you eat.
6 months is not a long time to go from 0 - 100 miles,but certainly acheivable.
Set yourself a monthly target.
Month 1 .... To do a 20 mile ride,and increase it my 10 - 15 miles each month.
Come the end of your 5th month you should be able to do 60+ miles,and will have worked out your food and water intakes.
To do the century,will require more of the same.
Good luck and keep us posted ..... The longest i have managed in 2012 is 55 miles, so 2013 is my century year
This. Although the OP said "couch" not "coach :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Although might need a coach to get me off the couch :laugh:

I'd find someone else to cycle with if you need a bit more motivation and a push :smile: You also have someone to chat with during the half way cake stop (probably not necessary on a 4 mile ride though :whistle: )

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Sure i could fit in a cake stop if required after 2miles lol

I am hoping once to i get to 15-18 miles around 11-12mph to join a local club skills ride to give me some company

vickster

Legendary Member
Really?? No sky ride locals at all. Maybe too early in the year for lily livered northerners ;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Gradually build up distance each week. Increase distance by 3 mile incriments, until around 25 miles. Then 5 mile jumps until 40. Then 10 mile incriments until 70. Then you will be able to jump to a ton! 6 months? Very achievable, imho. Try to get out reguarly and not just once a week. Go in the evening, when it starts to get lighter at night.

Top Bottom