Cough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
Since the beginning of March i've had a cough/ chest infection type thing. Coughing up all sorts of muck from my chest. Now to top it off i've got a stinking cold and mouth full of ulcers.
I've been still doing my 14miles a day on my commute and my mid week 5k run and my Saturday 10k run and sunday badminton. The running has been a real struggle and my times are suffering badly.
But today i woke up at 6.30am ready to get up and do my run, but i just couldn't do it. I had to stay in bed, i'm just so pooped. Totally exhausted.
I just can't understand why this bug thing has taken hold for so long. I'm not feeling really ill, just typical cold type thing. But it's going on and on.
Has anyone else been suffering with this bug? Got any good home help remedies?
I feel a fruad to go and see the doc over it.
My lungs are hurting from the coughing!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Take a break. It is not worth risking your long term health. I am not a doctor but my understanding is you can leave yourself more open to things like pneumonia if you get too run down while suffering from chest infections.

lulubel

Über Member
General running advice (and I'd say it applies to any cardio exercise, so cycling is covered) is that if your illness is below the throat - ie. chest - you should rest until you're recovered. If you've just been keeping going while coughing up gunk from your chest, that probably explains why it's been hanging around for so long.

You need to give your body time to recover from the illness, and it can't do that when you're causing it additional stress by cycling and running.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Take a full week off any exercise at all, you are overdoing it massively. Take a holiday around Easter or take the bus or drive to work, eat well and get lots of sleep and fresh air, but STOP EXERCISING. You will be amazed at how strong you feel after a break.

ASC1951

Guru
...Now to top it off i've got a stinking cold and mouth full of ulcers....
You're going far too much for someone with a bad infection. You could try some swimming, but I would knock off the commute and the running until you are better.

I would be more concerned about the mouth ulcers, if I were you. Those aren't a "just typical cold type thing". They are often a sign of some underlying problem, such as a vitamin or mineral deficiency, especially if you have had them before.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I've not done any running or Badminton this weekend. It seems rest is the way forward.
I just assumed being quite fit, that bugs would just come and go within a week or so. How wrong was i!
I haven't been ill since i had "swine flu" a few years back. But this little bug just won't leave me alone.
I go on a massive guilt trip if i don't exercise.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
If you've had it for a month and aren't getting any better it must be worth going to see your GP, you might have bronchitis or something that your body needs help to get rid of. And definitely rest!

I would go to your GP and don't even spare a seconds thought about whether you are bothering them. A similar cough/bad chest I had, needed an inhaler and spacer to clear up and as Lulubel & Baggy say, I would stop until it's gone, you are much more likely to lose more than you gain if you keep running with it.

Top Bottom