Could I Linux?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajevans

sloe said:

Would it work in wireless hotspots?
And how is Totem for watching DVDs?

[1] Yes. You can install a GUI app for searching and connecting to networks.

[2] Totem is fine, but there are plenty others as well. Just open the package manager app, type in video in the search box and you'll have about a dozen to choose from.
(Remember to install libdvdcss first, which is easy for most distros but more effort is required for the likes of Fedora which has a 'free-software' only ethos).

Carwash

Señor Member
ajevans said:
(Remember to install libdvdcss first, which is easy for most distros but more effort is required for the likes of Fedora which has a 'free-software' only ethos).

Nitpick: actually, libdvdcss is licensed under the GPL. The reason some distros don't include it by default is for fear of legal action, as it violates the DMCA. Likewise DeCSS.

barq

sloe said:
But been reading your explanations and looking at all these links you've all been providing - it doesn't look totally scary. In fact it begins to look interesting.

So if I got this Dell and the Belkin £35 router

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&oc=N1264015&s=dhs

and a bit of extra battery, it comes in at a bit under £400.

Would it work in wireless hotspots?
And how is Totem for watching DVDs?

I've been using Ubuntu for a while and I bought the exact laptop you've linked to (with the extra battery - it is worth it for another £20 as you get over five hours use) quite recently. Out the box it will pick up wireless networks and ask you which one you want to connect to. That certainly includes wireless hotspots. There was only one thing I needed to install to get the maximum screen resolution '915resolution' which worked as soon as I rebooted.

Totem is fine and the default movie player with Ubuntu, but so are loads of other programs. I use the KDE/Kubuntu desktop rather than Gnome/Ubuntu so I use 'Kaffeine'. VLC is nice too. All of them work once you install the 'libdvdcss' driver.

With Ubuntu you may wish to install a few drivers for proprietary formats like MP3s and DVDs. Google 'Automatix' or 'Medibuntu' and you will find step by step instructions to install. There are a few reservations about Automatix but for the average new user it is the best way to install a whole load of useful stuff (e.g. Firefox with Flash and Java type extensions, multimedia, fun stuff like Google Earth). Medibuntu also gives you access via the normal 'Package Manger' (i.e. the thing you use to install/remove software) to these extras.

barq

I've got lots of Ubuntu and Kubuntu CDs lying around. I don't need them and I didn't pay anything for them so if anyone here is interested in trying the live version just send me a message with your address and I'll post you a CD.

They are also available free of charge from Ubuntu but they can take quite a while to arrive.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I remember installing, long time ago though, 10 years ago, a Linux version that would run from a Dos directory. At boot time you had an option to boot Window or Linux - I thought it was a great idea to test Linux. I wonder if they still do a version that runs from a Dos directory.

Rick

Top Bottom