could I use.....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sully

Über Member
Hello I have a Wilier Triestina Thor carbon could I use this for the odd Audax ? advice greatly appreciated
Craig

ASC1951

Guru
I've only done a few Audaxes, and then not in the winter, but why would you need a rack and pannier? Don't you just ride as you normally do, but for longer?

Is there some anal Audax rule that says you have to take 50lb of spares and accesssories, preferably in something made of stout canvas?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
User3143 said:
The best person to answer that is prob you. Is the bike good to ride? Can you/Would you be able to do 100,200 kms (or more) on the bike? Can you attach a rack and pannier to store your gear?

Rack and panniers?

What's wrong with a saddle bag or a Camelback or some other form of backpack.

Some audax riders have a 'standard' set up of a Mercian, rack and Carradice rack top bag but these are far from essential.

If the original poster can ride 100 and 200km on his existing bike there is no reason why he should need anything else.

Quite a few of the faster riders get round 100km in just over three hours. They cope with standard roadies attire with everything stuffed into their rear shirt/jacket pockets.

?

What nothing is the answer

Sorry I do not get it?

Randochap

Senior hunter
While a rack and panniers aren't usually necessary on an "audax" event, personally, I wouldn't want to try an early-season brevet with just a pair of arm-warmers stuffed in my jersey pocket.

In fact, on PBP '07 (August) it was the riders who tried that approach that were most often seen being carted away on stretchers, bundled into ambulances and taken away to be treated for hypothermia. One chap I saw was so far gone, he was completely unable to respond to shouted commands, even though he was still sitting upright and had his eyes open!

If you have access to the '07 DVD, check out the shivering zombies seen at controls (you might try YouTube for some clips).

So, my preference is for some kind of small racktop or handlebar bag large enough to carry clothing and kit to get me through cold nights and inclement weather ... and yes, canvas and leather is very nice if you can afford it.

There seems to be some confusion as to what constitutes an "audax" ride, perhaps due to the misnomer in the UK. An audax ride is run under different rules than a randonnee, as has been noted in another thread.

Official Audax Club Parisien brevet distances begin at 200km (125 mi) and go through 300, 400, 600 km, etc. PBP is 1200km. 100 km is not a recognized brevet. Shorter introductory rides are called "populaires" here in Canada and do not count toward any awards, standings or medals, other than local club pins we give out to encourage participation.

I'll start a 200k on a nice day with little chance of a change in weather carrying minimum tools and kit, but anything over that requires a "be prepared" approach.

Most experienced marathon riders usually end up with a bike that is comfortable over the long haul.

There is a fuller explanation and discussion of gear beginning at VeloWeb's Rando hub

Greenbank

Über Member
To answer the original question: yes, you could.

However, you need to think about a few things first:

a) Comfort.

Racing geometry bikes are not going to be comfortable for 8 hour+ rides. I've done a 200 on a bike with race geometry and, whilst I survived, I was thankful I wasn't doing a 400. (A 300 would have been ok probably).

Touring/Audax bikes have a more relaxed geometry for a reason.

Also, if there's a hint of rain then I wouldn't even think about going out on a bike that didn't have full mudguards (not just raceblades). Not just for your comfort but to stop spraying anyone who tries to ride behind you. You won't be able to draft anyone if they can't comfortably take a turn behind you.

:ohmy: Self-sufficiency.

You can't carry many spares in jersey pockets/etc. Carrying tools/etc in pockets is generally a bad idea (on any length ride) in case you fall.

On a 200 I take a small seatpack with some tools and spare nuts/bolts, p*nc*t*r* repair kit, 2 spare tubes, small pump, zip-ties, spare batteries, etc. Head-torch if it's winter and I'll be riding in the dark at the end.
On a 300 I'll take the same with maybe another inner tube.
On a 400+ I'll add a spare folding tyre and a change of gloves.

A seatpack containing tools/spare tubes/etc could easily work though. I did rides up to 600km with just a Carradice Barley (7 litres capacity) which doesn't require a rack. Soft stuff like jackets, armwarmers, etc can easily be stuffed in the seatpack or jersey pockets.

c) Comfort.

See (a).

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
Hi thanks for your thoughts, Im not looking at going for the megga distances but Im quite a competitive person so would love to aim for something, and distance = pushing myself turns me on more than pure speed, I guess the only way to truely find out is to try one ?

Top Bottom